Addition To Brick Home With No Footer - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By MatthewDW
  • 1 Post By mark sr

Old 09-01-2019, 11:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Addition to brick home with no footer

I am building a small 12x9 addition to my 1936 brick home. Upon excavation I found that the house does not have a concrete footer/footing. The brick foundation is corbelled brick style. it did appear to have maybe gravel or something under the foundation but not much. My question is how can tie in the new foundation to the old. I have plans developed by an architect and it calls for a block foundation for the addition. Do i have to tie things in? Can i drill into the bottom layer of brick and epoxy r-bar to tie into the new footer? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
MatthewDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 17,536

Re: Addition to brick home with no footer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDW View Post
I am building a small 12x9 addition to my 1936 brick home. Upon excavation I found that the house does not have a concrete footer/footing. The brick foundation is corbelled brick style. it did appear to have maybe gravel or something under the foundation but not much. My question is how can tie in the new foundation to the old. I have plans developed by an architect and it calls for a block foundation for the addition. Do i have to tie things in? Can i drill into the bottom layer of brick and epoxy r-bar to tie into the new footer? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
It doesn't matter the opinions you get, when you submit your plans for a permit the city will want an engineers stamp on what ever it will need.
stadry, Bud9051, That Guy and 1 others like this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

OK cool, I figured as much, just trying to plan ahead.
Nealtw likes this.
MatthewDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
It doesn't matter the opinions you get, when you submit your plans for a permit the city will want an engineers stamp on what ever it will need.
So, does Cricket pay you per post, or is it a salary deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDW View Post
OK cool, I figured as much, just trying to plan ahead.
depending on your location, the city will most likely require a foundation regardless of how your house was built. Over time, building codes have become much more stringent due to accidents and such.

a full foundation will add a significant chunk of cost to your project so be aware of that. Especially if you have to deal with frost lines and such.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:39 AM   #5
retired painter

Rewards Points: 580

I'm in the process of building an addition to my son's house that doesn't have a footer under the block foundation walls. The addition had to have a footer that complied with code. Other than mortar the foundation block isn't tied to the original house foundation.

Locally no engineer stamp was needed but I did need to comply with the local regs.
Nealtw likes this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,622

our 1856 home in upstate ny had no foundation either - just a 3' dep dug hole w/laid up stone,,, still stood straight - even both chimneys
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
retired painter

Rewards Points: 580

That is how the first 2 parts [1937 & 1942] of my son's house were done although the gravel is less than 1' down. The last addition [70s?] just had the block laid over dirt [no gravel or footer] As part of a waterproofing project I dug down below the bottom block and poured concrete alongside and about halfway under on the front side of his house.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 2,596

He has plans for the addition done by an architect, that is sufficient. If it doesn't address a connection detail, and the inspector is asking for one, then that would be supplied by the architect at that time. Most likely you would not connect to the old brick foundation. Also, if it's a true corbelled wall (wider "bell" on bottom), I might think about removing the corbelled portion that the new footing juts up against, and underpin a portion of the old wall, but depends on the adjoining elevation heights.
3onthetree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
So, does Cricket pay you per post, or is it a salary deal?

What ever it is, Cricket should double it.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:47 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
our 1856 home in upstate ny had no foundation either - just a 3' dep dug hole w/laid up stone,,, still stood straight - even both chimneys
that 3' hole with stone in it, is the foundation.

Especially in NYS, and northern states foundations are required for structures due to the heaving of the ground from freeze and thaw cycles.

Typically, this is 36" of deeper. This prevents movement of the wall which prevents the failure of the structure.

At my old house, our 10" thick concrete driveway would move around so much over the winter, you had to be careful with the little plow so you didnt break anything.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,622

my bad,,, should've said no cmu/conc foundation & supporting wall - just laid up stone,,, house was built on piers resting on that supporting wall
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
additions , footers , footings