Windows And Door Supplier - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GrapeApe
  • 1 Post By carpdad

Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

Windows and door supplier

Hi guys! I'm building an office that measures 12' along the front where the door will be, and 10' along the sides where I want two good sized windows and a mini-split system.

I'm at the framing stage (just about) and need to find a good supplier for doors and windows that won't be $4000 each time i call them. That means Lowes and hd are out of the equation. Here's what I know already:

Door should blinds in the glass and be OK for rain to hit directly.
I'd like to add two side windows to the door and a window above too so door size might matter.

I'd like two larger windows on the sides, but one side holds the mini-split so I need to allow room for that.

Here's my ugly drawing of the general idea. I forgot to add the FRENCH Doors though so imagine that instead of what's shown.

I'm in Oklahoma so local outlets are a plus, but not required.

Thanks!
Nealtw likes this.
GrapeApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,606

Re: Windows and door supplier

Call you lumber yard. Some will sell direct to the public.
Don't deal with big box stores.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 12:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,664

More money better the quality. There is no way around it. I actually prefer the box stores where I can go and pick up a window without the wait time and other uncertainties. Also returning is less of a headache.

The brands that come to mind are andersen and pella. Both have good and bad reviews. After some years of reading the reviews, I've sort of given up that there is a final answer. It probably will cost 2-3x more if you look for the best. Probably made in europe with triple pane glass and kind of lock that closes like a ship hatch. You may find these at the lumberyards.

I would not skip the box stores. Compare the prices and what you want. Fiberglass construction will be best, esp against the water damages, and quality of weather seals all around. I like neoprene head and side seals that are pressure fiited for easy replacement and bottom bulb seal that is snug on the threshold (should be fairly easy close and not binding). Jamb and trim that are weather resistant. Look for bottom third of the jamb made with treated lumber.

A good weather seal also depends on lock install.

For windows, I just bought some andersen 100 series casements from a lumberyard. They were about 20% less than homedepot quote. Box stores may charge a lot for special orders. I like it although I was told that the outside finish is paint. Awning windows would be also fairly weather tight compared to double hung.
GrapeApe likes this.

Last edited by carpdad; 04-17-2019 at 12:37 AM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
More money better the quality. There is no way around it. I actually prefer the box stores where I can go and pick up a window without the wait time and other uncertainties. Also returning is less of a headache.

The brands that come to mind are andersen and pella. Both have good and bad reviews. After some years of reading the reviews, I've sort of given up that there is a final answer. It probably will cost 2-3x more if you look for the best. Probably made in europe with triple pane glass and kind of lock that closes like a ship hatch. You may find these at the lumberyards.

I would not skip the box stores. Compare the prices and what you want. Fiberglass construction will be best, esp against the water damages, and quality of weather seals all around. I like neoprene head and side seals that are pressure fiited for easy replacement and bottom bulb seal that is snug on the threshold (should be fairly easy close and not binding). Jamb and trim that are weather resistant. Look for bottom third of the jamb made with treated lumber.

A good weather seal also depends on lock install.

For windows, I just bought some andersen 100 series casements from a lumberyard. They were about 20% less than homedepot quote. Box stores may charge a lot for special orders. I like it although I was told that the outside finish is paint. Awning windows would be also fairly weather tight compared to double hung.

Thanks! I'll look at Pella and Anderson. The box store wants 1500 bucks for a set of french doors with blinds inside. I was hoping to stay under 1000.
GrapeApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement