Window Screen Frames With Thin Sides - The Bowing Problem. - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By dd57chevy

Old 09-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
Just too cute to eat.

Rewards Points: 14

Window Screen Frames with thin sides - The bowing problem.

I was reading this thread here from this very forum, and it serves as the perfect example for this thread.

I spend my mornings helping out in a mid-sized Hardware Store on Long Island, New York. I've re-screened thousands of screens by now, and I have to say, there are some frames that are just downright problematic. Screen doors are almost never a problem, all due to their thick and generally unbending frames. But when it comes to rescreening a frame whose width is barely wider than a finger (If even!) you'll find that those frames tend to bow a little, or as I describe it, they turn into an hourglass shape.

Because I get in frames of every shape, size, and dimensionality, I can't just make a single jig to keep it straight and the frames apart for every single screen that I get. I have to use something like this to keep the middle of the particularly lengthy rectangular frames from bowing inward if I even think about making it tight in any capacity.

By "tight" I just mean removing any excess slack from the middle. It's not as if I'm tugging on it with both hands and my foot braced on the table for added pulling strength. It's just a very gentle tug to ensure there aren't any waves in the fabric.

On most frames, that's not an issue. Turns out fantastic. Perfectly, even! But on large or very long frames without a middle brace, that's a recipe for disaster.

If I had a nickel for every customer that wanted it tight regardless of the laws of physics, and my thoughts went to the realm of r/MaliciousCompliance, I could make a hefty stack of nickels.

Anyone have any tips on how to eliminate any slack inside a freshly rolled window screen but not have the long sides be tight enough to turn into a fat hourglass?
ShadowTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,304

Re: Window Screen Frames with thin sides - The bowing problem.

Make a spanner from a 1x2 that perfectly matches the width of the screen (one for the height, too) Place it across the the frame and put in your screening. That way the normal motion of installing the spline won't tend to bow in the skinny frames. You can remove the spanner when through. The screen should be tight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,634

What drives me nuts is the pull tab for removing them in the middle of a tall one. As if pulling the middle will move the top and bottom before the side bends.
A tabs right near the two corners please.
chandler48 and ShadowTiger like this.
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,732

Home Depot sells an adjustable screen jig set-up for about $100 .

Your boss would be wise to purchase one :

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Li...7924/205411163
ShadowTiger likes this.
dd57chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,644

I err on the bit loose side so the screen doesn't stretch too tight. I can't remember what or how, but I think replacement frame kit had slots along the frame so that middle brace can be fitted. There's no way to fit a middle brace after all these years? If must, I'd cut a frame so a flange is made and screw it in after the screen is installed.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement