Terrible Window Install - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #1
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

Terrible window install

Windows are pouring water into house. My window guy calls me and said he had not seen nothing like it. They basically removed the old window and "installed " a new replacement window in the hole, no caulk no insulation.
On the outside of the house they took a flat piece of flashing and nailed it down onto the aluminum siding.
I will try and post a picture tomorrow when I see it. I am wondering if there is anyway to fix this properly? The replacement windows have no nailing fin. They are just setting in the window hole. Can I make metal flashing on a brake, having one side touching the siding and the other side touching the window, then just caulk it in? Does the window need to come out?
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,826

Re: Terrible window install

Really need that picture.
So are you saying there trying to use a replacement window as a new constrution window?
If so, anytime I've seen that done because someone "got a deal" on the windows the whole wall was rotted out because it can not be sealed properly.
123pugsy (03-18-2016), Gymschu (03-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,550

It can probably be trimmed out correctly and fix most of the issue as long as we assume that it was measure right for the hole size.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-18-2016), ben's plumbing (03-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 114

If you have your window guy who you trust, why didn't he do the job?
bradleyshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 582

yep replacement windows sit inside the opening ..then its trimmed out and sealed...hope it was measured right for the opening...will need to see pictures...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

House was bought with the windows installed. Looks like a homeowner special. It is a relative's house and now that the windows leak they want my help. They never asked me to look at the house before they bought it.
My window guy is no master but he is available now to fix the windows. I have to tell him which direction to move in
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
House was bought with the windows installed. Looks like a homeowner special. It is a relative's house and now that the windows leak they want my help. They never asked me to look at the house before they bought it.
My window guy is no master but he is available now to fix the windows. I have to tell him which direction to move in
no disrespect intended ..but a window guy..should know which direction he needs to take for a proper install...or repair... he should have told you which direction was needed...sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-18-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
no disrespect intended ..but a window guy..should know which direction he needs to take for a proper install...or repair... he should have told you which direction was needed...sorry
He probably does know the best approach to remedy the problem long term, but he's aprehensive to tell him that he needs to start over with every window and replace the "replacements". It's easy for all of us to quarterback on the web, but in person, he's probably trying to save the existing windows to save thousands of dollars for the HO, as he know's they can't afford the other option. Typical case of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear...........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #9

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
He probably does know the best approach to remedy the problem long term, but he's aprehensive to tell him that he needs to start over with every window and replace the "replacements". It's easy for all of us to quarterback on the web, but in person, he's probably trying to save the existing windows to save thousands of dollars for the HO, as he know's they can't afford the other option. Typical case of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear...........
while i agree with you on some...but if the windows are that badly hacked...he may have no choice but replacement,,again...I have seen windows ordered 1" short of the opening..contractor told homeowner it was for expanison....had to reorder windows..... like the comment about quarterback...just remember a good quarterback knows how to run a team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement