Splintered And Frayed Wooden Door. - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Splintered and Frayed Wooden Door.

I have a front door that is frayed and splintered on the outside out of the house. There is a screen door in front of it. I am not sure if you can see it correctly in the picture but some of the wood is already off and nothing really able to glue back on. What is the best approach to fix this door?
Attached Thumbnails
Splintered and Frayed Wooden Door.-photo-25-_2.jpg  
WoodGlueMaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Cheap door is what you have. All it would take is a good kick or a Sledge hammer to bust through that. Replace it with either a Steel or Fiberglass door.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Is there anyway to repair the door without completely destroying the door and needing to just replace it with a new one? I wanted to see if I could salvage the door without going all nuts on destroying it. I already looked at steel door prices and replacing it. I wouldn't say the door is cheap, maybe compared to a steel door, but it still is a solid wooden door that just got a little banged up on the outside over the years.

Last edited by WoodGlueMaybe; 05-30-2014 at 04:35 PM.
WoodGlueMaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodGlueMaybe View Post
Is there anyway to repair the door without completely destroying the door and needing to just replace it with a new one? I wanted to see if I could salvage the door without going all nuts on destroying it. I already looked at steel door prices and replacing it. I wouldn't say the door is cheap, maybe compared to a steel door, but it still is a solid wooden door that just got a little banged up on the outside over the years.
Take off door and toss into a bonfire, or have picked up by your local garbage collector.

That is a cheap door. Typical on homes of that age. I have the same type as my front door. All that is between the Luan Plywood with Veneer on the outside and the inside, is a honeycomb of cardboard, with a frame of soft pine or Birch around the perimeter. So that you can attach the hinges and door hardware.

Do yourself a favor and replace with either a Steel door or Fiberglass door. The plus side is that you will see an increase in savings for heating and cooling the home with the new door and frame. In place of that old cheap door.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (06-01-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
door , frayed door. , splintered door