Old Rusty Garage Door Springs - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree20Likes

Old 04-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,508

Old rusty garage door springs

People,

Double door, about 30 yrs old. Each side has 2 long coil springs. One split in two. never done this before, so should I replace all 4 now? Just that one?

Not sure how to order a new one, or where. Measure length while it is relaxed?
Note: they are not torsion springs. There is no such spring (s), just 2 on each side, going from front of door toward the back, just above the bracketry onto which the rollers travel.

Thanks.

Last edited by papereater; 04-11-2019 at 09:12 AM.
papereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 570

Re: Old rusty garage door springs

I have no idea if or where you can get those springs. However...

30 years old...is your door wood? Take care, they are a lot heavier than you might realize. Had one and the cable clamp to the spring (or something, can't remember) broke on just one side. Good thing I wasn't directly under it when it came down. It came down with such force it broke 2 panes of the glass, and i'm surprised it didn't crack the concrete. To repair the cable I placed a clamp on inside of the roller track, one on each side, to block the rollers and prevent it from coming back down while I did the repair. Definitely did not get back under it during the repair and while it was clamped, just in case.
papereater and Tom153 like this.
ZEW496 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZEW496 For This Useful Post:
papereater (04-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #3

Big Thanks, Zew. It is steel, not wood. It was closed when the spring snapped so I just heard a loud Booooiiiiing! I did open it this morning by pushing the open button, helping it up with my arms a bit, went up OK. It is now up. Anyway, Maybe I should look around a bit for those springs. Hate to order a new door.
Just found out they are called extension springs (as opposed to the torsion type).
Tom153 likes this.

Last edited by papereater; 04-11-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,507

They should be replaced in pairs. IF you have 4 total and they are all 30 years old, I would probably replace all 4,

You can buy them at Lowes https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...e+door+springs and I'm sure HD has them also.

When in doubt about any spring I replace with the same gauge wire, length and number of coils. As you can see from the link above there is more than one choice and it is based on the weight of the door.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
papereater (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 12,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by papereater View Post
People,

Double door, about 30 yrs old. Each side has 2 long coil springs. One split in two. never done this before, so should I replace all 4 now? Just that one?

Not sure how to order a new one, or where. Measure length while it is relaxed?
Note: they are not torsion springs. There is no such spring (s), just 2 on each side, going from front of door toward the back, just above the bracketry onto which the rollers travel.

Thanks.
They go by the height and weight of the door. And every company has a different colour code for the weight rating.
https://www.amazon.ca/Ideal-Security...99287670&psc=1
Dave Sal, papereater and Tom153 like this.
papereater (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #6

Good to know all this, People! Learned so much already! Good thing it is not an emergency- I can leave door open at night.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Good to know all this, People! Learned so much already! Good thing it is not an emergency- I can leave door open at night.

Probably a good plan. The plastic gears in the openers can't handle the weight very well without the spring balance.

What I forgot to say in the post above is just take one to the store with you and match it. That is what I did when I replaced it.

Be sure to install the safety cables that should come with it. A 30 year old opener may not have come with them but all the newer ones do. It greatly helps prevent property damage and decapitation when the spring breaks.
papereater likes this.
papereater (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
Probably a good plan. The plastic gears in the openers can't handle the weight very well without the spring balance.

What I forgot to say in the post above is just take one to the store with you and match it. That is what I did when I replaced it.

Be sure to install the safety cables that should come with it. A 30 year old opener may not have come with them but all the newer ones do. It greatly helps prevent property damage and decapitation when the spring breaks.
Will have to study this safety cable. Also, the garage door opener is still an ancient/vintage Heathkit, probably made in 1980, or even earlier or so. Sheesh- they dont make them like that anymore.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #9

Going to HD to match up that broken spring today. What to you guys think about the fact that when my door shuts, and it approaches the ground ready to stop, it slams hard and loud onto the concrete floor. Would that be a sign that truly all the rusty springs are either too loose on the cable/pulley or worn out badly? I just thought of this now as I am replacing/repairing this spring.........

When a door shuts, shouldnt it touch the floor gently without a huge loud SLAM/BANG?
Old 04-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #10

If this was before the spring broke

Quote:
Would that be a sign that truly all the rusty springs are either too loose on the cable/pulley or worn out badly? I just thought of this now as I am replacing/repairing this spring.........

I would say someone should have adjusted the spring tension to soften the close.

If after I would say it is 100% normal.

With the opener disconnected from the door a properly adjusted garage door should stop and hold in any position between 6" off the floor and fully open. You adjust the tension of the springs to achieve. this.
papereater likes this.
papereater (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 728

Quote:
Going to HD to match up that broken spring today. What to you guys think about the fact that when my door shuts, and it approaches the ground ready to stop, it slams hard and loud onto the concrete floor. Would that be a sign that truly all the rusty springs are either too loose on the cable/pulley or worn out badly? I just thought of this now as I am replacing/repairing this spring.........

When a door shuts, shouldnt it touch the floor gently without a huge loud SLAM/BANG?

My garage door closes quietly. Sounds like your springs don't have much tension left in them. Have you ever disconnected the opener from the door and tried to open it by hand? It should be relatively easy with the springs doing most of the work.
dd57chevy and papereater like this.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #12

Good test method, Davesal, and easy to do/verify. And colby, it happened (slamming) before spring broke. Good to know this stuff.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,162

I vote for replacing them all, frankly at 30 years old, you've gotten your money's worth out of them and it's not worth the hassle of a second visit down the road. You gotta pay to have the whole bar thing removed anyway so might as well.

We only replaced the one spring when ours broke because we were figuring that we'd buy a new garage door (and the springs are incompatible with the new door) in the next year or two - the second one hasn't gone out yet, but we won't be replacing the door this summer and now we are both constantly saying "hey it's summer, so if it snaps it won't be a big deal..." This small self-comfort will not hold water when winter returns, we're going to be worried about it breaking all winter >.<
papereater likes this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)

Last edited by Mystriss; 04-12-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #14
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 362

If by 4 springs you mean 2 in parallel on each side, you can replace with a single pair with the correct weight limit. You need to weigh the door with the springs disconnected. Use a bath scale. Springs are sold by weight range.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
papereater likes this.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
If by 4 springs you mean 2 in parallel on each side, you can replace with a single pair with the correct weight limit. You need to weigh the door with the springs disconnected. Use a bath scale. Springs are sold by weight range.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
It's two separate doors so 4 springs in total

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement