New Seal For Bottom Of Garage Door - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By joecaption
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 04-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 101
Default

new seal for bottom of garage door


Hello,

I have an issue with rats in our neighborhood and the seal on the bottom of one of the garage doors have been chewed through. This is allowing water in, so I have to fix it.

I am not even sure where to start as to getting a replacement. These are metal doors on an opener. My guess is that the doors are 8' but I will have to measure. Is there a brand or kit that folks like to use here.

I will try to get some pictures when the monsoon stops.

LMHmedchem
LMHmedchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 3,993
Rewards Points: 888
Default

Re: new seal for bottom of garage door


Home Depot and Lowes carries them, all depends on the configuration of your door though.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Wi...s/N-5yc1vZcgk8
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
LMHmedchem (04-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 101
Default

Re: new seal for bottom of garage door


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Home Depot and Lowes carries them, all depends on the configuration of your door though.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Wi...s/N-5yc1vZcgk8
The prices range from $15 to close to $100. I will have to take some pictures to try an identify the correct configuration. It is poring rain, so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Is there a brand that you like, or one(s) that you definitely don't like?

LMHmedchem
LMHmedchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,300
Rewards Points: 17,740
Default

Re: new seal for bottom of garage door


May want to buy several seals if you choose not to get rid of the rats first.
As it is now you have the perfect spot to set a rat trap to get rid of them.
HenryMac and finisher65 like this.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
LMHmedchem (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #5
Member
 
firehawkmph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Near Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 2,285
Rewards Points: 2,398
Default

Re: new seal for bottom of garage door


The rubber seals slide into a track on the bottom of the door. There are different sizes and they aren't all universal. Cut off a couple inch section of yours and go to a local garage door supplier. They have it in big rolls and will cut you off a length. Get it a foot longer than your door measures. Slice the old rubber seal down the middle with a razor knife and slide both halves out. On the new seal, trim the leading edge tongues that go into the slots on the track so they are pointed like an arrow. Squirt a little WD-40 into the slots. Feed the new seal in and pull it along while having someone else feed the rest so it doesn't get hung up. Pull it an extra couple inches past and roll the extra back inside of itself. Do the same at the other end and you're done. But like the others said, get rid of the rodents first or you'll be doing it again.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
LMHmedchem (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 101
Default

Re: new seal for bottom of garage door


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
May want to buy several seals if you choose not to get rid of the rats first.
As it is now you have the perfect spot to set a rat trap to get rid of them.
I have bait stations all over and hopefully that will clear things up. There was an old box with grass seed and bird food in the garage that I didn't know about and that is what they were getting into. Hopefully removing the food source will help as well.

There are other holes that they have dug through the wood trim and around a place that was not concreted properly, so I have other work to do after fixing the seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
The rubber seals slide into a track on the bottom of the door. There are different sizes and they aren't all universal. Cut off a couple inch section of yours and go to a local garage door supplier. They have it in big rolls and will cut you off a length. Get it a foot longer than your door measures. Slice the old rubber seal down the middle with a razor knife and slide both halves out. On the new seal, trim the leading edge tongues that go into the slots on the track so they are pointed like an arrow. Squirt a little WD-40 into the slots. Feed the new seal in and pull it along while having someone else feed the rest so it doesn't get hung up. Pull it an extra couple inches past and roll the extra back inside of itself. Do the same at the other end and you're done.
The door is an 8' Clopay. The seal that it came with looks rather flimsy, so possibly I can get something heavier that will still fit in the groves. Are their options for that sort of thing or is there only one size seal that will fit?

I don't know of any garage door supplier around here. There must be one, but I will have to look. Do they have anything decent at home depot?

LMHmedchem
LMHmedchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 3,993
Rewards Points: 888
Default

Re: new seal for bottom of garage door


The HD link i posted shows a Clopay 9 ft. replacement.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:34 AM   #8
Member
 
firehawkmph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Near Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 2,285
Rewards Points: 2,398
Default

Re: new seal for bottom of garage door


Quote:
Originally Posted by LMHmedchem View Post
I have bait stations all over and hopefully that will clear things up. There was an old box with grass seed and bird food in the garage that I didn't know about and that is what they were getting into. Hopefully removing the food source will help as well.

There are other holes that they have dug through the wood trim and around a place that was not concreted properly, so I have other work to do after fixing the seal.

The door is an 8' Clopay. The seal that it came with looks rather flimsy, so possibly I can get something heavier that will still fit in the groves. Are their options for that sort of thing or is there only one size seal that will fit?

I don't know of any garage door supplier around here. There must be one, but I will have to look. Do they have anything decent at home depot?

LMHmedchem
The seals are just a rubber strip, they don't offer a heavy duty one. Home Depot does sell CLOPAY doors so like Canarywood said, the seal they show in his link should be fine.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garage door opener motor dead? Georgepag Electrical 6 11-20-2017 07:30 PM
Garage Door Weather Seal? marcus118 Windows and Doors 6 02-02-2017 12:38 PM
Garage Door Seal to Floor - How tight? tsklan Building & Construction 11 12-25-2015 10:26 AM
Sears Craftsman Garage Door Opener bearing assembly? r0ckstarr Appliances 22 03-27-2014 08:56 AM
Garage Door Bottom Seal AlleyG Windows and Doors 2 03-20-2014 09:40 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts