Need Help Flashing Door With Dupont Flexwrap. - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By RickDel
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 10-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 225

Need help flashing door with Dupont Flexwrap.

Hello, I need to replace two sets of french doors. I want to weatherproof with DuPont Flexwrap and Straight Flash, but not sure I'm going to be able to use Flexwrap because there's only about 1/2 to 1" clearance between the threshold sill and my deck. Everything I've seen shows the Flexwrap going down a few inches past the rough opening, so what can I do?

I really don't want to remove my deck boards because they're nailed down.

Thanks - Rick

RickDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,682

Re: Need help flashing door with Dupont Flexwrap.

If you deck board are 5 1./2 inches wide cut the deck 5 3/4" away from the house do your flashing check for flashing behind siding, add blocking from below and put one new board down next to the house.
RickDel likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 11:43 PM   #3

Thanks Nealtw, but if I understand you correctly I'd have one end board traveling in a different direction than all others. I'm sure that would work, but still looking for other suggestions. Thanks.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #4

Nealtw, Ok, so I initially didn't care for your idea because I didn't want the outside board traveling a different direction on the deck, but the more I research the more I think that's my best choice. However, even with my deck cut back I have the 2x10 deck support beam in the way. It's just a little more than a 1/2" from the wall. So, if I used Flexwrap I'd probably only have about 1/2 - 1" wrapped over the outside sill of the rough opening. I"m not even sure I could do this because I think that would still leave me with a couple inches of unused Flexwrap flashing (unless I overlap the excess over the back of the rough opening.

Do you have a suggestion for this?

Thanks - Rick

Old 10-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDel View Post
Nealtw, Ok, so I initially didn't care for your idea because I didn't want the outside board traveling a different direction on the deck, but the more I research the more I think that's my best choice. However, even with my deck cut back I have the 2x10 deck support beam in the way. It's just a little more than a 1/2" from the wall. So, if I used Flexwrap I'd probably only have about 1/2 - 1" wrapped over the outside sill of the rough opening. I"m not even sure I could do this because I think that would still leave me with a couple inches of unused Flexwrap flashing (unless I overlap the excess over the back of the rough opening.

Do you have a suggestion for this?

Thanks - Rick

So Is that a free standing deck but with the boards right up against the house?
To do a proper flash pan under the door it wants to go behind the siding below the door. I guess as no one will see it you could just run it out over the siding. Or just stretch it out over the rim joist.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
So Is that a free standing deck but with the boards right up against the house?
To do a proper flash pan under the door it wants to go behind the siding below the door. I guess as no one will see it you could just run it out over the siding. Or just stretch it out over the rim joist.
Thanks for the response.

Yes, it's free standing, but it's about 3/4" from the house. The deck boards are almost touching the house and the deck support beam is off the house about 3/4 of an inch.

I have a 2x12" under the door opening. There's no siding between the Jchannel that runs down past the door frame about another foot below the deck. I assume it was built this way so a ledger could be installed for stairs instead of a deck. (I really have no experience in this, so I'm just guessing).

In my last pic you can see the 2x10 deck board running parallel to the 2x12 that's attached to the house, with what appears to be house wrap behind the 2x12.

I was wondering, do you think I'd be better off using Dupont Straight Flash (the non flexible one) instead of the Flexwrap on the bottom sill. I could probably slip it between the 3/4" gap (just not sure how I'd press it against the wall). I've seen some video's on Youtube of guys using a flat membrane and cutting the corners to wrap it over the sill. I plan to use a JamSill PVC pan with it anyhow.

What do you think?

Thanks Again!!

BTW, I'm replacing TWO sets of doors and they have a fireplace separating them.

Last edited by RickDel; 10-08-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
retired framer

The ledger under the door was likely the original stars or small deck.
What if after removing the ends of the deck board, you cut the top of the ledger off flush with the deck rim, then you could do the flex flashing and cover it with a paint board later.
Just the first thought. I am not familiar with the hard pan you spoke of.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #8

Nealtw, I'm still rereading your last message trying to understand everything. Though, I may have misspoke when I said "ledger" before. The 2x12 is actually flush with my siding and attached directly to the house sheathing. You can see the sill sitting on it in my pic above. I'm not sure if this is called a "ledger" but I would think it would make it easy to bolt up a ledger to it.

And this is the PVC product I was referring too. I read a lot of good reviews on it. My supplier said I didn't need a membrane flashing with this, but I thought both membrane and PVC would give me a less chance of water infiltration. I guess I could just go PVC and forego the membrane at the bottom sill all together.

http://jamsill.com/
Old 10-08-2018, 10:26 PM   #9
retired framer

Quote:
Nealtw, I'm still rereading your last message trying to understand everything. Though, I may have misspoke when I said "ledger" before. The 2x12 is actually flush with my siding and attached directly to the house sheathing. You can see the sill sitting on it in my pic above. I'm not sure if this is called a "ledger" but I would think it would make it easy to bolt up a ledger to it.

And this is the PVC product I was referring too. I read a lot of good reviews on it. My supplier said I didn't need a membrane flashing with this, but I thought both membrane and PVC would give me a less chance of water infiltration. I guess I could just go PVC and forego the membrane at the bottom sill all together.

http://jamsill.com/
The plastic pan is a set depth in and out so maybe won't each out far enough

The green board in this picture is that a sill under the door or the old ledger or?
Old 10-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #10

The green board in this picture is that a sill under the door or the old ledger or?
[/QUOTE]

The green board is the 2x12 that runs the length of the rough opening (between the Jchannel) all the way down to the concrete foundation. It's parallel the deck support that holds of the 5 1/2" deck boards. There's only about a 3/4" gap between that green board and the deck support board. That's my problem!

Thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #11
retired framer

Quote:
The green board is the 2x12 that runs the length of the rough opening (between the Jchannel) all the way down to the concrete foundation. It's parallel the deck support that holds of the 5 1/2" deck boards. There's only about a 3/4" gap between that green board and the deck support board. That's my problem!

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Yes, I am back to cutting the deck boards of and removing the ends then cut the top 2" of that ledger that is attached the wall .
Then you do the flex flashing down to the top of the cut edge so the water runs between in the 3/4" gap. Then you replace the top that was cut off after the door is installed with 2x2 treated.

RickDel likes this.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #12

Neal, thanks for the help.... I've read your reply several times over the past couple days. I think I understand your suggestions but still researching.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #13

Neal, So, in your suggestion I cut the ends of my deck boards back 5 3/4" off the edge, then cut 2x2 off the top of the ledger, add flex tape, add plastic sill pan, than add a filler piece of pressure treated wood to fill the gap under my sill, right? I assume I could use a piece of PVC too, right? Here's a pic of a ThermaTru with a JamSill Guard like I want to use.

You don't foresee any waterproofing issues by nailing that PVC strip into the membrane on the ledger do you? (I know it's supposed to be "self healing")

Also, would you use shims under the PVC pan, like a cant strip to force water out the front? It has angled weep holes designed into it.

And lastly, I ordered my doors with brickmold already installed. I guess I'll have two gaps at the bottom of the brickmold if I cut the ledger. Since my door will have PVC brickmold already installed, I guess I'll have to attach 2" pieces of PVC brickmold to the bottoms. I think that would look better than extending the PVC ledger filler piece. Or do you have a better suggestion?

Thanks Again!!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #14
retired framer

I think you have it or most of it. The plastic pan should have ends that turn up at the studs so I think there should be no worry about draining below that. Any of the flexible flashing that I have uses is thick and self healing so nailing thru should not be a problem .Doors that we install always have the brick mold to the bottom of the jam. We leave the rest to the siding guys but they just make up that space with what ever matches the house. Often a small step or stoop is about the same width as the door and now is about 6" below the door threshold. So that board often extends to the outsides edge of the brick mold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement