Installing Garage Entry Door. Fire Rated Door Needed? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 06-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 719

Installing Garage Entry Door. Fire rated door needed?

I have an existing garage entry door (looks original from 1984). I don't think it is fire rated. The door has three hinges and feels like a solid door. If I replace the door, do I need to buy a fire rated door? Do I need to have it installed as a fire rated door (meaning I probably have to hire someone). The water heater is not in the garage nor is the furnace. Both are in the basement.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Garage Entry Door.  Fire rated door needed?-20190606_112145.jpg   Installing Garage Entry Door.  Fire rated door needed?-20190606_112237.jpg   Installing Garage Entry Door.  Fire rated door needed?-20190606_112217.jpg   Installing Garage Entry Door.  Fire rated door needed?-20190606_112159.jpg   Installing Garage Entry Door.  Fire rated door needed?-20190606_112243.jpg  

Installing Garage Entry Door.  Fire rated door needed?-20190606_112233.jpg  
greentrees is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 700

Re: Installing Garage Entry Door. Fire rated door needed?

Check with your local building department. They will advise you if a fire rated door is required and what length of fire rating is required.

As for needing one, even if the building department says it is not required, I would put one in if the garage is attached.

The reason why is that garages hold a lot of chemicals that are potentially flammable. If you have any gas powered devices, lawn mower, weed trimmer, leaf blower, etc., you probably have a gas can. Which can go boom.

A hollow core door provides minimal protection. A solid core door provides some protection. And a fire door provides protection in certain ratings. Typically 15, 20, 30 minutes or longer.

You install it the way you would any door. Just use fire proof caulk or foam to fill in the gaps. You can by pre-installed or slab fire doors. Buy which ever works in your situation.
Profkanz likes this.
As a technical writer, I tend to be lengthy in my responses as I want to be accurate.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,764

If you pull out the handle you should be able to figure out if it's a solid wood door or not.

I'm nearly sure the answer to your first question is yes, you have to have a fire-rated door, BUT your existing door, if it is solid wood and it's thick enough, might actually be code.

You should look up the code in your area, but the IRC allows either solid wood, or foam core doors, that meet thickness requirements (afraid I don't remember what the measurement was though.)

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 838

If it was fire rated, there would be a label on the hinge side of the door.

You might call the local whoever is the building inspector, and ask their opinion.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

Attached are a few more photos. It looks like a solid door. It also has three hinges. When I called the box store, they said if an older door is replaced (which may not require a fire door at the time) when the new door is installed, a fire rated door needs to be installed, as well as the requirements for a fire rated door installation. A solid door runs about $200 or so. A fire rated door would run about $400. Installation for a fire door would run about $500+. Having a new door would be a bit costly. If I install it myself, I don't know if I am regulated by such needs, but it probably depends on the code in the area as mentioned (I'll check their website). If I sell the house, do I need to disclose that I didn't not install the door as per fire rated requirements? Just like a patio cover, some are not to code, though homes are sold as is.

I could always just keep the existing door and paint it. But thought it would be nice to change the style and install it myself to save money. Ten doors might be a bit much to do a self install, but one door doesn't seem so bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Garage Entry Door.  Fire rated door needed?-20190606_150742.jpg   Installing Garage Entry Door.  Fire rated door needed?-20190606_150728.jpg  
Old 06-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,676

I am not sure a solid door is not fire rated, I would do a little more research on that.
firehawkmph (06-12-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #7
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,504

While you are checking, your location may require self closing hinges as well, or some sort of closing mechanism.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 838

A fire rated door will have a metal tag, go to a mall, a school, hospital, or nursing home. Open a hall door and look for the metal tag on the hinge side of the door.

Also, do not paint over any decals or metal tags. You just violated the listing of the door

Here is some info on fire doors.
https://structuretech1.com/houses-dont-have-firewalls/

This is the time to ask your friendly building inspector questions. Don't wear a shirt that says Bob"s Cheap Contracting.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 700

Here is an inexpensive pre-hung 20 minute fire-door from Jeld-Wen. It is 36x80. And it goes for $256 in my area. It is a basic 6 panel door as you can see. A non fire rated door is $189. Isn't the safety of your family worth $70?

Here is a link to the door.
As a technical writer, I tend to be lengthy in my responses as I want to be accurate.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownskier View Post
Here is an inexpensive pre-hung 20 minute fire-door from Jeld-Wen. It is 36x80. And it goes for $256 in my area. It is a basic 6 panel door as you can see. A non fire rated door is $189. Isn't the safety of your family worth $70?

Here is a link to the door.
That is nice, but installing it is the issue. That might run about $500, so assume there is something different about installing fire doors which may be complex. I'll check around locally to see if it is ok for a DIY or is there some future issue when I sell the home.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:53 AM   #11
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,676

Home Depot sells a 20 minute fire rated solid wood door.
To meet fire separation requirements, the door must be one of three types of doors: a solid wood door not less than 1-3/8 inches thick, a solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 1-3/8 inches thick, or a 20-minute fire-rated door, with a self-closing device. Another thing to note, is that a 1-3/4″ thick solid wood raised panel door would likely not comply because the minimum thickness at the recesses would likely be less than 1-3/8.”
https://www.buellinspections.com/myt...-house-garage/
Old 06-07-2019, 05:12 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,986

I think the weather stripping is also different. Better heat rating or tighter against garage gases. You can knock on the door and tell if it is solid or hollow. Practice at the homedepot.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
If you pull out the handle you should be able to figure out if it's a solid wood door or not.

Don't many (all?) hollow-core doors have solid chunks in the hinge and handle areas?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post

Don't many (all?) hollow-core doors have solid chunks in the hinge and handle areas?
I haven't taken apart a hollow core door recently, but I agree with you, there needs to be something solid to install the lockset on.

as far as I understand, installing a fire door is really no different than installing a normal exterior door. it might be slightly heavier but should be straightforward.

I bought one for between my unfinished basement and finished basement. considering the distance from the boiler, I really don't think its needed, but if i ever get this inspected I have it, it was approx $100 more than the special order solid core doors i was ordering. They're all in a pile in my basement waiting for install...
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post

I'm nearly sure the answer to your first question is yes, you have to have a fire-rated door, BUT your existing door, if it is solid wood and it's thick enough, might actually be code.

You should look up the code in your area, but the IRC allows either solid wood, or foam core doors, that meet thickness requirements (afraid I don't remember what the measurement was though.)
The door has three hinges which give some indication it is solid, and the door swings open a bit heavy. I installed solid doors in my house and they feel about the same. A big difference compared to a hollow door.

The house was built in 1984 and the requirements back then was probably just a solid door. There is no label on the hinge side of the door.

I am thinking of buying a fire rated door and just install it as per the instructions. I think there is some foam that goes around the frame area and possibly some weather stripping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement