Fixing Prehung Door - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By bcemail

Old 10-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 302

Fixing prehung door

I have a prehung door that has separated. I'm guessing the kids slammed it a few times and one side of the molding pulled away and it's not lined up with the jamb now. How do I put it back together? I was going to put a nail through the side with the latch plate thing into the jamb, but there is space between them and I was worried it wouldn't hold or would split the wood eventually. Should I nail the molding into the wall then reconnect the molding and the rest of the door? Hope this makes sense. I'm sure I'm butchering the terms! Thanks!
bcemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,798

Re: Fixing prehung door

You want to cut the caulking between the trim and the wall and remove that and on the other side cut the caulk between the trim and door jam and remove that. Then you will be able to see what nails or screws are in there and what you need in the way of shims and nails or screws.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,752

It appears the door casing has separated from the trim molding. It happens when slipshod trim guys only nail the door unit by the trim molding. Push the door casing back into alignment to where it touches the trim molding and fasten the casing using either trim head screws or finish nails, then reattach the trim to the casing.
Mike Milam and mark sr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 324

Our house was built in 2003. When I had the trim off one side doing the bathroom tub replacement, I notice the door jams had no shims at all. Just nails thru the jamb (shot in with a nailer) into the framing. We are adults with no kids, so I'm not going to pull the trim on every door and shim the jambs. Just short cuts that are common now days.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
You want to cut the caulking between the trim and the wall and remove that and on the other side cut the caulk between the trim and door jam and remove that. Then you will be able to see what nails or screws are in there and what you need in the way of shims and nails or screws.
Thanks, I'll try that. I needed to anyway since it's pulling away and looks like crap!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
It appears the door casing has separated from the trim molding. It happens when slipshod trim guys only nail the door unit by the trim molding. Push the door casing back into alignment to where it touches the trim molding and fasten the casing using either trim head screws or finish nails, then reattach the trim to the casing.
From what I can feel/see, there are no shims between the casing and the door jamb. If I nail or screw it, do I need to fill that gap with something? Or just use a few nails/screws and not try and tighten down to much?
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Milam View Post
Our house was built in 2003. When I had the trim off one side doing the bathroom tub replacement, I notice the door jams had no shims at all. Just nails thru the jamb (shot in with a nailer) into the framing. We are adults with no kids, so I'm not going to pull the trim on every door and shim the jambs. Just short cuts that are common now days.
Yep, that sounds about right. As we've fixed up our house most of the work has been undoing shortcuts the builder and previous owner took!
Mike Milam likes this.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,752

To do it right, the trim molding needs to come off, the door and jamb installed using shims and then the trim reapplied.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #9
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcemail View Post
From what I can feel/see, there are no shims between the casing and the door jamb. If I nail or screw it, do I need to fill that gap with something? Or just use a few nails/screws and not try and tighten down to much?
Thanks!

As Chandler says, it needs to be attached with shims. If you try to nail or screw it 'just right' you will be frustrated and it will move over time, especially with kids slamming it. Shims allow the jamb to have solid blocking between the jamb and framing and be secured so it is straight all the way up. And don't just shim from one side - it could twist the jamb. Shims are tapered so you slide one in from each side at the same location make a flat spacing. There's probably YouTubes on it.

Bydand
lenaitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #10
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,798

Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement