Exterior Entry Door With Screened Window - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Exterior entry door with screened window

Why am I having such a hard time finding an entry door to access my backyard that has a functioning screened window? I like the screen-a-way windows offered on the storm doors but want a durable, secure door either in steel or fiberglass. The only thing I can find is a fiberglass door by Masonite with a window that can be raised, and the screen is always visible. The main reason I won't choose this door is the type of latch to raise the window is difficult to use - pull in the left and right spring latches and muscle the window up to the right height and let go of the latches. It's hard enough to work the window now and in another few years my arthritis may make it impossible. The screen-a-way windows have a retractable screen and the latch to raise the window is smooth and easy to raise with one finger. And by the way, I'm getting different advise on whether to choose steel or fiberglass. Why should one be chosen over the other? I am in south east Texas, it gets very hot and humid in the summer and not too cold, but rainy in the winter. Did I mention I'm on a budget and don't want to pay more that $500 for this door?
wyseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 13,314

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyseone View Post
The screen-a-way windows have a retractable screen and the latch to raise the window is smooth and easy to raise with one finger. And by the way, I'm getting different advise on whether to choose steel or fiberglass. Why should one be chosen over the other? I am in south east Texas, it gets very hot and humid in the summer and not too cold, but rainy in the winter. Did I mention I'm on a budget and don't want to pay more that $500 for this door?
Not going to happen.

The door you are mentioning in a storm door capacity (i.e. less expensive than a full door) will cost north of $500.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,972

Want a secure door, but want a window and a screen in it, Hmm.
Break the screen or glass reach in and unlock the door.
Better off with a real door and add a screen door to the outside.
Fiber glass is more expensive but is not going to expand and contract or possibly rust like a steel door.
curtd (09-08-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 332
Send a message via Yahoo to curtd

As joecaption says above we have a solid front door. It's made out of wood though and it shrinks and expands depending on time of year, so yes, fiber glass is better. Our storm door has a screen in it for the summer time, and even though its lockable the screen can easily be brokened and door unlocked by intruder...
curtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
door , exterior , retractable , screen , vented