Exterior Door Replacement. Remove Framing Then Measure Opening And Order Door? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

Exterior door replacement. Remove framing then measure opening and order door?

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing some French doors (which open on a bedroom deck) in an old house.

I have removed the interior casing. I have not removed the frame or the brick molding. The below picture, which was taken from the bedroom deck, shows the opening.

Should I now
1/Remove the framing (ie the studs), measure the width of the opening from brick to brick and use that (width) measurement to order the new door?

2/Keep the framing, measure from the width from the left stud to the right stud, and order a new door? In that case, I will have to replace the brick molding with a wider one.

Any ideas regarding how I should proceed? I very much appreciate your input on any aspect of this project. Many thanks in advance

Lydia
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior door replacement. Remove framing then measure opening and order door?-img_3118m.jpg  
lydiajones94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 524

Didn't we already have a huge thread on how to measure this very set of doors?
CompleteW&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #3

I am also attaching a picture taken (before the door panels were removed) from the inside. This second picture shows the studs from the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior door replacement. Remove framing then measure opening and order door?-img_3115.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
Didn't we already have a huge thread on how to measure this very set of doors?
This is a follow-up post. This time, I need help with whether to remove the studs. I specifically need to know how to measure the width.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #5

You simply measure the width and height of your rough opening and then downsize the door about 1/2" each way. This allows you to get the door Level (side to side), Plumb (up and down) and Square (corner to corner).

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 10-27-2015 at 02:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
You simply measure the width and height of your rough opening and then downsize the door about 1/2" each way. This allows you to get the door Level (side to side), Plumb (up and down) and Square (corner to corner).

Thanks for the reply and for the picture you edited and posted. This is very useful. I still have a couple of problems/questions.

The first one is that removing the old jambs is very difficult, even with a sawzall (please see picture below for my attempt to saw off the top jamb). This could be because there were no jambs (the jambs we think we are seeing are just paint lines?), and that the door panels were hinged directly onto the studs (as could be seen on the first picture of this thread). So I wonder if I should just leave the existing studs/jambs as they are. Is that reasonable? The depth of the existing studs/jambs is about 5 inches and a half, and in fairly good shape.

My second question is in relation to the existing brick molding. It really looks like I will have to replace the existing brick molding (and use a new, wider one): if you study the first picture of this thread, you will see that the brick molding is not flush with the framing. That is because the French doors were outswinging, so that there had to be some room for the hinges. I am now thinking of installing a single unit (as opposed to French door), inswinging door. If I measure the width between the studs and order the door, there will be a gap between the framing and the new door (which will have to be filled with foam). The gap, or the foam, will be visible from the outside as it will not be hidden by the existing brick mold.

I appreciate your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior door replacement. Remove framing then measure opening and order door?-img_3112rotated.jpg  
Old 10-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #7

This door was very likely built on site when the house was built. It's not uncommon for them to have very wide jambs like this one. Simply remove the two wide side jambs and the top jamb. You can quite easily measure for the new door with everything in place before it's removed.

As for the first image, it's not real clear. If what I am seeing is the BM is painted white, then it should be back set from the edge of the door jamb. Brickmold does the exact same thing on the exterior, as trim casing does on the interior. It covers any gap between the door jamb and rough framing. It should be backset from the edge of the door jamb by 1/8" - 1/4."

By removing the wider jambs, you don't necessarily need wider BM, because your new door will be a little wider than the old one coming out. If anything, you may need to trim the standard 2" BM down a bit. It should extend past the edge of the door by about 1-1/2." From the looks of the pic (again, if I'm seeing white BM), you should be fine with standard 2" BM.

If you determine for some reason that you need wider BM, then order 3" and cut it to fit. There is no way you are going to need 3" BM standard. We only use 3" BM if we are downsizing an opening for some reason. Other than that, you should never need it.
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #8

Follow up.... You don't necessarily need to remove those wide jambs and header. But by NOT doing so.... you have figured out that you now have a trim corundum on the exterior. By leaving those wide jambs in place, you now have a new gap to account for that's usually handled by the BM.

Just make things easier on yourself and completely remove those wide jambs and replace the existing BM on the exterior.

If you do decide to leave them however, you will still need to remove the existing BM and cut a flat 1 X to create trim that will cover your new door jamb and over to where the old BM was. I don't think a 3" BM will be enough. It might be though, with a touch larger set back reveal on the door jamb. But, it would be awfully close to not being wide enough. You'll just need to check it and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement