Door Lock Jammed - Urgent Help Needed! - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ZTMAN
  • 1 Post By Toller

Old 02-02-2019, 05:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,052

Door lock jammed - Urgent help needed!

I have a Andersen door. If you move the lever up, two bolts engage at the top and bottom. Moving the lever down disengages them. My lever is frozen in an up position and the levers will not disengage. It is the only practical way to let my dog out into the fence yard, so we have a real problem until we get it to let go.

I have tried heating it with a hair dryer, pushing the bolts out of the way with a screwdriver (they move a bit, then stop) and taking the levers off, but nothing helps. The lock works normally.

Any suggestions? There are no model numbers on it that I can see (of course I don't know what is written on the part I can't see.

HELP!
Attached Thumbnails
Door lock jammed - Urgent help needed!-door.jpg  
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 06:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 278

Re: Door lock jammed - Urgent help needed!

Assuming the lock is not frozen, best thing you can do is call Andersen's tech support. They are great. They will trouble shoot the problem based on the model of the door.

I had an Andersen door like that. Turned out to be a little metal T piece that broke inside the lock preventing operation. They will send you any parts you need, free.
I was able to operate my mechanism with a screw driver until I got the parts. Good luck
Yodaman likes this.

Last edited by ZTMAN; 02-02-2019 at 06:15 AM.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #3

Andersen CS isn't open until Monday, and I doubt it can be fixed unless it is open to expose the latching mechanism.

So I forced it. It popped open with a lot more force that I was really comfortable with, but since it was broken anyhow....
It seems to work with a lot of force now. I would blame the cold, but it is now 10 degrees warmer than when it worked normally the last few days.
I just won't lock it until I have a solution. (It opens to a screened in porch that can be locked, but normally isn't.)

So what do I do now?
Replace the lock mechanism? Looks easy enough, but I bet it's not cheap.
Open up the lock mechanism and grease it?
Something else.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 894

I'd try a squirt of WD-40 on the bolts. Then as you try to move the latch give the door a good solid pounding in the location of the bolts with a mallet or your fist.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
Andersen CS isn't open until Monday, and I doubt it can be fixed unless it is open to expose the latching mechanism.

Thanks.
If you can't wait until Monday, take of the handle and the dead bolt knob, remove the two screws on the cover plate and take a look to see if you can see what the problem is.

If you do that, put some painters tape over the exterior cover plate so it does not fall off when you remove the screws from the inside.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #6

I was able to get it to unlatch by forcing it. Today is warmer, so I pulled the whole mechanism out. I was able to latch and unlatch it 40 times, but each time there was a loud cracking noise. I expect it eventually just won't work at all, and them I am in trouble as there is no easy way to get at it.
The problem is inside and can't be gotten at. Bolts instead of rivets would have been nice.
So I bought a new one for $192. Arrggghhh.

Just for future reference, if it completely broke latched, how could it be gotten open? The hinges don't have accessible pins; so I don't know what could be done.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #7

I called Andersen today.

They recommended that I have a service provider look at the door and determine why it is so difficult to use. I think pretty clearly it is difficult to use because something inside the latching mechanism is broken, and don't need to pay $100 to someone to be told that.

They don't know how one could open a door with a latch jammed closed. They would recommend having a service provider fix it.

So they weren't very helpful.

Being the persistent kind, I found that I could push the top and bottom latches to 45 degrees with a screwdriver. From there i could put in little pick with 90 degree bend on the end and push the top and bottom latches completely out of the way.
That left the center latch that was too narrow to get the pick into. I bent some wire into a semicircle and looped it around the center latch. Pulling both ends forward opens the door right up.

I have two doors and found this method works on the 2nd door.

But of course the 2nd door isn't broken. When the 1st door finally breaks for good, it might cause binding my method might not work. Or it might not, but I am not going to take that chance. Accordingly, I have bought a replacement and will dispose of the broken part. $200 shot to hell.

Last edited by Toller; 02-04-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement