Converted Bedroom Needs Soundproof Door - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Converted Bedroom Needs Soundproof Door

I recently moved into a new rental apartment in New York City. My bedroom used to be the front living room, so it's huge, but it's separated from the den/kitchen area by a very wide doorway, which currently has two bifold closet doors. The doors are paper thin and don't reach the floor beneath, so neither rooms is sound insulated. I'd like to have sound privacy in my room. Is there a way I can relatively cheaply do that? I'm not opposed to installing a solid door of some kind (nor is my landlord), I just don't want to blow a whole lot of money on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Converted Bedroom Needs Soundproof Door-doors-open.jpg   Converted Bedroom Needs Soundproof Door-closed-doors.jpg  
thepipesthepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #2

That carpeting is now gone, replaced by hardwood laminate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 13,314

A prehung french door (interior) would do the trick.

Its not going to be "soundproof" but it will be better than what you have now.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,972

There's suppose to be a gap under the for return air flow.
A French door is a fine idea but I doubt you'll notice enough difference in noise level to justify the cost unless you use solid wood doors, even then it will be minimal.
Plus that single pane window above the door acts like a sound board.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #5

Sorry, what is a prehung door? And I've heard in other forums that the window above the door is going to be a problem...it seems so small, is it really going to allow that much sound through?
Old 10-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepipesthepipe View Post
Sorry, what is a prehung door? And I've heard in other forums that the window above the door is going to be a problem...it seems so small, is it really going to allow that much sound through?
A prehung door is a door that is already hanging on its own frame, as opposed to a door that is just a door. A lot of French doors are prehung. As for the window, a lot of sound can travel through a small space. That window looks relatively thin and a single pane, so sound likely goes through it pretty easily.
ACWindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2

We just removed very similar thin, bi-fold doors to convert our office into the new baby's room. We went with french doors - NOT prehung. I know a very good carpenter who put them in for ~$400 including supplies (doors were $100 each). Make sure you get solid wood doors; they block sound better than hollow core doors.
Our new doors cut down the noise a surprising amount! The room is now nice and quiet even with the A/C blower running right outside the door.
Houndsbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bedroom , bifold , door , sound , soundproof