Cedar Wood Porch Columns / Pvc Wrap Or Paint - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 12
Default

Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


When they built this home on Ď97 the builder used cheap nails (I tried to nail them in deeper) that keep rusting through. I could pvc wrap, but that gets pricey. How can I avoid the rust from seeping through otherwise? Any paint that Iíve tried in the past has failed.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4rpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #2
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 24,336
Rewards Points: 12,430
Blog Entries: 41
Default

Re: Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


At least for those bottom ones, the water is coming from inside the wood and not outside.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 12
Default

Re: Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
At least for those bottom ones, the water is coming from inside the wood and not outside.

Thanks. Any ideas what I could do to 100% eliminate the rust from coming back?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4rpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
retired painter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: east tenn
Posts: 8,668
Rewards Points: 1,338
Default

Re: Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


If the moisture is coming from behind I don't know how effective it will be but I generally countersink the nails and then putty the resulting hole. That generally prevents the rust from coming back.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 12
Default

Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
If the moisture is coming from behind I don't know how effective it will be but I generally countersink the nails and then putty the resulting hole. That generally prevents the rust from coming back.

I may have tried that and after some time the putty popped out.....my technique might have not been the best, what type of putty, how to make sure it doesnít pop out and then do I just paint over it ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4rpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 24,336
Rewards Points: 12,430
Blog Entries: 41
Default

Re: Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


The fact that the wood is right on the concrete isn't great. Really needs some sort of capillary break.
SPS-1 likes this.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 12
Default

Re: Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
The fact that the wood is right on the concrete isn't great. Really needs some sort of capillary break.

What would work out? Iím willing to try it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4rpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
retired painter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: east tenn
Posts: 8,668
Rewards Points: 1,338
Default

Re: Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


I usually use window glazing to putty up nail holes on the exterior. You need to push the putty in with a twisting motion, then remove/smooth the excess. The paint should help to keep the putty in place.
4rpr likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 12
Default

Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
I usually use window glazing to putty up nail holes on the exterior. You need to push the putty in with a twisting motion, then remove/smooth the excess. The paint should help to keep the putty in place.

Such as this? https://www.menards.com/main/paint/c...4428675667.htm

Help me understand the twisting motion when I cannot go deep into where the nail set is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 4rpr; 05-22-2020 at 09:09 PM.
4rpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:45 AM   #10
retired painter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: east tenn
Posts: 8,668
Rewards Points: 1,338
Default

Re: Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


Dap33 will work fine. I take my thumb and push the putty into the nail hole rotating my thumb as I push it in.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:29 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 12
Default

Re: Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Dap33 will work fine. I take my thumb and push the putty into the nail hole rotating my thumb as I push it in.

2 of the 3 problem areas donít have a nail hole to push it through. What would you suggest that I do in those areas?





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4rpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:53 AM   #12
retired painter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: east tenn
Posts: 8,668
Rewards Points: 1,338
Default

Re: Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


Take a nail set to sink those nails. I should have mentioned that earlier - sorry.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:36 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 12
Default

Re: Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Take a nail set to sink those nails. I should have mentioned that earlier - sorry.

What if I tried a nail set and the nails still arenít budging?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4rpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:36 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,765
Rewards Points: 10,444
Default

Re: Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


As previously mentioned, the wood on concrete is not great. If you search, you will find many threads in this forum on fixing rotted post bottoms. I would replace that bottom wrap with PVC. Yes, PVC is a bit expensive, but its only maybe 8" tall. A table saw would be nice for cutting those miters.

If you remove that bottom wrap, you get to see if you have a wooden post also sitting directly on concrete and headed towards eventual rot.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 12
Default

Re: Cedar wood porch columns / pvc wrap or paint


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
As previously mentioned, the wood on concrete is not great. If you search, you will find many threads in this forum on fixing rotted post bottoms. I would replace that bottom wrap with PVC. Yes, PVC is a bit expensive, but its only maybe 8" tall. A table saw would be nice for cutting those miters.

If you remove that bottom wrap, you get to see if you have a wooden post also sitting directly on concrete and headed towards eventual rot.

Pvc on just the bottom wrap and not the post and top wrap would look awkward wouldnít it? Also, the rust is also occurring on the post as well, not just the bottom wrap.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4rpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts