2 Windows Installed - One Sits Lower, Just Slightly. - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,099

2 windows installed - one sits lower, just slightly.

I had a couple windows installed in the kitchen. They sit right next to each other over the sink. I noticed over the weekend the smaller, fixed pane has the top casing sitting just slightly lower than the bigger double casement.

Upon further review it looks like they may have installed the smaller one just slightly lower, but they lined up the bottom casings even, just not the top casings.

Would you make adjustments to the top casing or have one of them reinstalled with it being just ever so slightly off? Just trying to get a gauge of how typical this may be and if I should just make adjustments with the casings.
Attached Thumbnails
2 windows installed - one sits lower, just slightly.-12212361_10206243322616723_1680548026_n-1.jpg  
cjaustin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,147

Over a 28 year period I looked at a lot of windows and it is a fairly normal thing.

The bottom is more visible than the top and it may not have been possible to have both even so probably the right call was made.

Your wife is going to have you up hanging some window treatment and you can force those to be level.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
cjaustin81 (11-09-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
Over a 28 year period I looked at a lot of windows and it is a fairly normal thing.

The bottom is more visible than the top and it may not have been possible to have both even so probably the right call was made.

Your wife is going to have you up hanging some window treatment and you can force those to be level.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'd hate to call the crew back, they worked hard and I know this was an honest mistake. I noticed when I aligned the jambs from one to the other that it was the window and not the casing.

Good point about the window treatments, I forgot about those. I agree with you about lining up the bottom as well, that's the part you see the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #4

These are Pella 450-series Proline windows. My other issue was I had a nice chip from the factory. I have a call into the Pella rep about this, I'm not sure if they're gunna send a guy out to fix it or if I will have to fix it myself.

Also, the casings don't line up perfect in some areas. Do you just sand them to make them flush? (in this case plane the bottom level)
Attached Thumbnails
2 windows installed - one sits lower, just slightly.-12226564_10206243017449094_610893419_n.jpg   2 windows installed - one sits lower, just slightly.-12208220_10206243017409093_2052246970_n.jpg   2 windows installed - one sits lower, just slightly.-12212242_10206243020169162_890223319_n.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,184

Reveals aren't the greatest. I wouldn't bother with Pella. The windows have been set and unless you can show that mark was there before, they could justifiably claim that it was part of the install.

Pull the cover and make the repair. If the windows are factory painted, they should have sent you some touch up paint.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
cjaustin81 (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Reveals aren't the greatest. I wouldn't bother with Pella. The windows have been set and unless you can show that mark was there before, they could justifiably claim that it was part of the install.

Pull the cover and make the repair. If the windows are factory painted, they should have sent you some touch up paint.
We had to purposely make the left trim piece (piece that sits next to the cabinet) have a slightly smaller reveal because I was right at the edge of the cabinet. We chose to make just that 1 side short and keep the rest at 3/8" for a more uniform look w the rest of the windows. (instead of making the entire reveal on all 4 sides short and then having the issue of what to do with the other window)

To fix the chip, what material should I use to build it up with? Normally I would use a Minwax wood filler or something to that effect but I wasn't sure with this. Would you sand the area around it too or just touch up the area the wood is missing?

Last edited by cjaustin81; 11-09-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

I was mostly talking about the mitre reveal.

As far as the repair, any wood filler (go with white if they have one) will work. I would square off the area and just be sure to tape off around the area to minimize any collateral damage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
cjaustin81 (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:

Unfortunately I had to contact them for something else as well. I ordered all 250-series for my vinyl windows and they sent me an 'Encompass by Pella" tempered window and we're still trying to figure out if it's truly a 250-series.

The white Pella sticker on the window says '250-series' but it has the Encompass sticker which is throwing everything off.
Attached Thumbnails
2 windows installed - one sits lower, just slightly.-12202034_10206243326496820_913670175_n.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:

As far as the repair, any wood filler (go with white if they have one) will work. I would square off the area and just be sure to tape off around the area to minimize any collateral damage.
I'm not familiar with the mitre reveal, are you talking about where the 2 trim pieces come together? where he put the spackle to fill in the gap?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjaustin81 View Post
I'm not familiar with the mitre reveal, are you talking about where the 2 trim pieces come together? where he put the spackle to fill in the gap?
Yes.... I'm sure that's what WoW is talking about. Bad miter work is bad miter work. Filling it with "spackle or caulk" is like putting lipstick on a pig. It may have lipstick, but at the end of the day, it's still a pig. A blind Monkey and his helper could have done the same level of trim work.
CompleteW&D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
cjaustin81 (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #11

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
Yes.... I'm sure that's what WoW is talking about. Bad miter work is bad miter work. Filling it with "spackle or caulk" is like putting lipstick on a pig. It may have lipstick, but at the end of the day, it's still a pig. A blind Monkey and his helper could have done the same level of trim work.
I see now what he's referring to. That was the worst one too, in a spot in the kitchen where everyone will see.

I want to redo that so it looks better. Would you just remove the bottom piece and cut a new one and make adjustments to just the bottom piece as needed until it lines up nice and tight?

I would imagine I don't need to remove the sides.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 524

As for the chip.... that's just a cover for the mechanicals. Pella can provide you with a new sill cover and all you will need to do is replace it.

On the fixed window being lower than the twin operating unit.... why did that happen? I'm assuming both units were ordered the same height? If not, why not? If they were, then why wouldn't the installers get them the correct height? I mean it was TWO windows. They couldn't be bothered to be sure they were the same? And.... you're ok with that?
CompleteW&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #13
Exterior Construction

Yes. They are slightly offset. Not a huge deal. Don't mistake me for being overly critical of your contractor. Just wanted to clarify my remarks.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
As for the chip.... that's just a cover for the mechanicals. Pella can provide you with a new sill cover and all you will need to do is replace it.

On the fixed window being lower than the twin operating unit.... why did that happen? I'm assuming both units were ordered the same height? If not, why not? If they were, then why wouldn't the installers get them the correct height? I mean it was TWO windows. They couldn't be bothered to be sure they were the same? And.... you're ok with that?
The cover is the metal piece that covers that chipped wood. Are you saying they can provide a new strip of wood (the one that's chipped) and then replace that whole piece of wood instead of doing a repair?

As for the height difference, I definitely ordered the 2 windows the same height. I'm not ok with it, I haven't done the siding in the area where the smaller window is so I could have them unscrew the nailing fins and reset it so that it lined up correctly. I just had it installed last Wednesday. That may be the best route to take.. I just wasn't sure if it was worth taking it all apart for that small of a difference but maybe it is.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Yes. They are slightly offset. Not a huge deal. Don't mistake me for being overly critical of your contractor. Just wanted to clarify my remarks.
No problem, I plan on making some adjustments to correct it. They kinda rushed the trim on that window and it was in a tight spot. I'm probably going to have to redo the bottom trim on that window so the miters line up better on that side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement