XPS, Spray Foam And Pests? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 308

XPS, Spray foam and pests?

I'm wondering if my basement finishing project has a fatal flaw?

I framed my walls using XPS under the sill plates to raise the Pressure treated off of the floor. Water was an issue, but has been remedied.... But I figured an extra 1" buffer wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I plan on using closed cell spray foam all along the concrete walls and rim joist...

But now I'm hearing that termites and mice are known to eat thru foam?

I'm not overly concerned, as most of the foam will be protected by the concrete walls, but there will be an exposed area near our bulkhead.....

We haven't had mice in our home since we've been there, but at some point they've been inside (the house was a vacant forclosure for a few months... I found some mouse droppings behind the dishwasher when we first moved in, and again when I pulled the old entry door under the bulkhead).

Plus spiders and pill worms readily inhabit the bulkhead stairway...

Is there a reason for concern? If so, what can I do to keep pests from chewing through foam in the bulkhead area? Maybe a PVC molding to cover the foam areas??? Or is that susceptible as well?
gizzygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 818

Can and do they eat through it, yes.

It is not usually the norm in what I have seen. They want to just shove their little heads through more readily available gaps and cracks.

If you are concerned about them, close up the larger holes with sealant and mesh prior to the foam.

Most of the larger gaps should be secured from the exterior anyway as a general best practice.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Can and do they eat through it, yes.

It is not usually the norm in what I have seen. They want to just shove their little heads through more readily available gaps and cracks.

If you are concerned about them, close up the larger holes with sealant and mesh prior to the foam.

Most of the larger gaps should be secured from the exterior anyway as a general best practice.
Well, under the bulkhead there was a door that I pulled out from the slab and into the the new framing: and I used pressure treated lumber to close the gap (but again, I wedged the lumber up on the foam for water reasons).

So it's effectively protected from the exterior with the bulkhead, but given the droppings I found under the old door sill, and the amount of bugs, I think it's safe to say it's not protected enough.

I supposed I could put some mouse traps down there just to be extra sure, but I wasn't sure if mice would just chew on the foam because...
gizzygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 818

You are probably good if the gaps are pretty tight with the wood. Again, if you are concerned, close them with a good exterior sealant prior to foam
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement