XPS Insulation Question - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By naternate

Old 09-21-2018, 12:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

XPS insulation question

Hi all. New to posting on the forum but have been lurking for a couple months. Glad I found this forum as it has been very informative already. I am starting a DIY basement finishing project on our new construction home. The home is a ranch style on a walkout basement. I am going to be starting out with insulating the poured concrete walls with 2 XPS foam board. The rim joists have already been insulated with spray foam on construction. The walls are 9ft.

My problem is it appears that most places (big box) only carry the 2x48x96 leaving me a foot short. From the manufacturer website Foamular comes in 9 foot but the width is only 24in. Anyone know if there are 48x108 products out there? Seems like if there are no 48x108 boards out there I am left with installing a lot more 24in boards or cutting an additional piece to make up the additional 1 foot. Both options add quite a bit more cutting or taping. Thanks for any help

Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
naternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2018, 06:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 926

Re: XPS insulation question

I've never seen anything but 8' stuff. I'd guess longer lengths might be available by special order, but you might have to buy a unit or something. Adding a 12" rip is really no big deal. Do you have a table saw?
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2018, 06:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marson View Post
I've never seen anything but 8' stuff. I'd guess longer lengths might be available by special order, but you might have to buy a unit or something. Adding a 12" rip is really no big deal. Do you have a table saw?
Or an electric knife
christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,742

Careful on a table saw as the foam can melt and stick to the blade. I found my small battery powered circular saw to be slower and cut better but also used my saber saw.

Not necessary to special order the 9', just put the seam high or low as you prefer. The critical areas are at the top where the exposed foundation can get extremely cold and any basement air reaching that surface will result in condensation.

At the top, be neat as you mesh your 2" rigid in with the spray foam.

Tip: It was posted here that a 3" drywall knife sharpened on one edge works great for cutting the foam board and I tried it and agree.

You didn't mention your climate region or what is going to the inside of that foam board.

Bud
Old 09-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #5

Thanks for replies so far. I am in climate zone 5 in western lower MI. Lots of lake effect snow but not usually long periods of frigid temps

I plan to use the foam with adhesive direct to the wall and then frame on top of that with sheetrock and fire blocking to code. I will have to use the spray foam in a can along the top edge where the foam board meets the rim joist foam as some of the bays are not completely out to the edge

I do not currently have a table saw. That will be in the near future...the next tool purchase will be a good framing nailer. I think I can get by with the drywall saw trick or just my regular hand saw. I already have a miter saw, circular saw, hammer drill, compressor so I have the major tools for the insulation and framing phase

Old 09-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #6

Thanks for replies so far. I am in climate zone 5 in western lower MI. Lots of lake effect snow but not usually long periods of frigid temps

I plan to use the foam with adhesive direct to the wall and then frame on top of that with sheetrock and fire blocking to code. I will have to use the spray foam in a can along the top edge where the foam board meets the rim joist foam as some of the bays are not completely out to the edge

I do not currently have a table saw. That will be in the near future...the next tool purchase will be a good framing nailer. I think I can get by with the drywall saw trick or just my regular hand saw. I already have a miter saw, circular saw, hammer drill, compressor so I have the major tools for the insulation and framing phase

Old 09-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,264

just use a straight edge and a knife.
https://www.staples.ca/en/olfa-ratch...oaAqYXEALw_wcB
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #8

XPS insulation question

I am going to call the building supply place I will be getting all my stuff from and see what they say. If not I think the easiest will be the full sheet at the top with cut sheet at the bottom.

Do people caulk the bottom to or not necessary?

Last edited by naternate; 09-21-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
just use a straight edge and a knife.
https://www.staples.ca/en/olfa-ratch...oaAqYXEALw_wcB

Oh man......that knife brings back memories. Looks like the ones we used to trim waste from bead injection car bumpers at the shop I worked summers during college.

Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement