Workroom Ceiling Insulation Vapor Barrier - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Workroom Ceiling Insulation Vapor Barrier

I have a workroom underneath a heated living space. I'm in Maine, so a cold winter climate.

I recently insulated the floor in the workroom ( this building is on stilts ) with R10 blueboard and will start heating that space occasionally when I use it in the winter.

The previous owners had insulated the walls and the ceilings with fiberglass. The ceiling is open now but I am about to cover it with drywall.

They had put the paper vapor barrier facing up, towards the upstairs apartment.

The upstairs will be more often heated and occupied, while the workspace will only be heated sometimes, and never or very low at night. But I'll also paint the ceiling, so probably that will serve as vapor barrier as well.

I'm not sure which direction to face the paper vapor barrier. My instinct says flip it around down, towards the workspace, but I'm not sure.

Advice? Thanks!
stovetopchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 944

Is the floor of the workspace in concrete? Any moisture in there?

What's the flooring in the space above?

It probably doesn't make a difference either way. There's usually not much moisture movement going down towards the cooler space.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #3

The workspace has wooden floor, on stilts. This is like an old barn. The space above has a subfloor covered by both carpeting and vinyl flooring.

I guess the space above is the warmest and wettest space so maybe what they did is right. Faced the vapor barrier towards it.

I'm just worried about trapping moisture in the ceiling and then potentially ruining my new drywall or promoting mold, which is common in my area.

Thanks Windows!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

VB on the heated side, upper. Heat will go from warm to cold, moisture makers are in heated area. Leave it be. You may require 5/8" ceiling drywall between different use/different party units, check local laws.

Gary
Old 11-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #5

Thanks Gary, that makes sense. I'll heat it sometimes but the upstairs will always be heated, so it's probably the best choice. It's just National Code here, I think, but I'll check on the drywall thickness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fiberglass , insulation , vapor barrier