What To Do With Concrete Walls And Sheet Metal Roof? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:26 PM   #1
jpc
jc

Rewards Points: 162
Send a message via Yahoo to jpc

What to do with concrete walls and sheet metal roof?

Thank you in advance for any advice or input, its all very much appreciated. My office is constructed with a precast floor and precast wall panels, with metal framing supporting a sheet metal roof. Currently only the roof is insulated with a thin blanket type insulation sandwiched between the steel framing and sheet metal roof. Have airsealed floor to wall and wall to roof joints. I've never been able to maintain a comfortable temp in there, todays outside ambient was around 96, my concrete walls measured inside were about 94 degrees while sun was beating on them, temp at exposed metal frame work that holds roof up measured 90 something. I could try to talk my boss into going even bigger with the AC, but feel like the heat radiating from the walls and roof would negate that regardless of getting one a little bigger. Aside from adding another layer of insulation to the roof what could I do to the walls, any thoughts or suggestions? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk
jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 848

Post up a picture if you can.

You can put the biggest AC unit in the world in there but if you don't have a way to keep the heat out or in, it's going to work overtime to keep up with outside temperatures.

Are there any utilities on the wall? Sounds like a perfect scenario where some rigid foam covered by drywall would do the trick. Please post up where the building is located geographically as well so it is the recommendations are specific to your climate region.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #3
jpc
jc

Hello WOW and thank you for your time.I agree, Nothing keeping outside out and cool air in is the real problem. My office is in chesapeake virginia, I think I forgot to mention that my floor aside from being precast slab, its on the second floor, below is open to the elements. The wall that gets the most sun exposure and being the hotest unfortunatly yes is covered with untilities and admixture dispensing bottle's, the other wall's have minimal obstruction's that could be pulled off then reinstalled if need be. Ill get a few picture posted up asap too. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

sounds good.

Anything you can do to insulate the exterior walls and then clad them with some sort of covering?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
jpc
jc

Meaning insulate them on the outside? The exterior wall finish is hard to describe so when i post some pics hopefully you could suggest what to use.I wasn't able to get the pics today but tomorrow I will be able to. Maybe I could do that wall like that then do the foam/drywall on the other 3, that would also make the interior look alot better
Old 07-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

I'll look for the pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement