Which Way To Go On The Road To Improving Home Comfort/efficiency - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Which way to go on the road to improving home comfort/efficiency

I'm currently at a fork in the road with regards to how I proceed in making my house more livable and energy efficient. It's been either very cold or hot depending on the season, and with a little girl in the mix since 2014 we couldn't just tough it out anymore.

I've already replaced the aluminum windows in the back of the house, which is the north facing wall. Those windows were cold enough to let condensation in that was freezing into a sheet of ice on the sills on the interior side of the windows, so we put in vinyl replacement windows.

While it's a lot better in the house overall, my little girl's bedroom is still a bit chillier than I'd like in the winter. And I have a feeling our house is going to be like an oven this summer.

In 2012 we bought this house from its first owner, who lived in it since it was built in 1973. He is a former Chrysler engineer, who for some reason took pride in never updating anything. But for $81,000 and a free brand new 80% efficient furnace (the old one had a cracked heat exchanger, so he had no choice but to replace it or take the home off the market and keep it) it was worth it.

It's a raised ranch style home with a total of about 1,600 square feet of living space between the two nearly equally sized floors. The front of the house is mostly clad in Chicago brick and has wooden windows with storms. The rest of the house is original aluminum siding. There's an attached single car garage on the bedrooms side of the house.

The insulation in the attic is R11-16 depending on what part of the ceiling plane your looking at from the attic view. Where the plane goes horizontal for the vaulted ceiling in the living room/dining room/kitchen side of the house, the insulation is fallen and there's basically none in that spot currently.

Nobody's taken down drywall on the upper floor to see, but the general consensus is that there's probably very little and poorly installed insulation in the walls.

It seems to me like there are two ways to proceed with my next step on the path I started down with the first set of replacement windows: either insulate the attic and replace the front windows as well or insulate everything and let the windows slide to the first half of next year.

If I go the second route, I have quotes for cellulose costing $4,500 for the attic and all exterior walls of the house or $8,900 for blown in foam insulation from RetroFoam. The cellulose would be on the attic's lower plane and the foam would be installed up above right under the roof. I have a quote for front replacement vinyl windows of $4,800.

The shortest term questions seem to be how much comfort/efficiency I could get out of the nearby summer months and the subsequent winter season at the end of the year. Long term it's kind of a wash, although I could always end up getting laid off or something and whatever didn't get done might not get done for awhile, so I could always end up stalled at what I do next.

I should also mention that our high energy bills tend to be between $250 and $300 per month during the peak winter/summer months and $100 or so in the "light" months.

This is my first post on your forums. I've looked around and you all seem like nice knowledgeable people. Thanks for read my post, if you're still reading this far.
SeanKDalton1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 392

Re: Which way to go on the road to improving home comfort/efficiency

We don't know where you are located since your profile is incomplete. Making judgments as to insulation would be sketchy on our part at this point due to different requirements for different regions. Let us know where you are.

Changing the windows to more energy efficient is a great start. The insulation in the flat part of the attic should be no less than R39. Your nemesis will be the insulation in the vault. What size rafters do you have and how long is the vault run from the attic? Do you have ridge vents and soffits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Opps! I'm in southeast Michigan.

I'd say half the width of the house has the vaulted ceiling from the front to the back of the house and it seems to be nearly four feet up compared to the regular ceiling height on the bedroom side, give or take a foot.

My cellulose quote includes $220 for soffit baffles and blockers. The only entry to the attic is through a small removable tile in the ceiling of the master bedroom closet, if that helps.

And yes, getting those aluminum windows out made a HUGE difference. It would be great to have the next step produce similarly noticeable results.
SeanKDalton1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 246

Here is a good article on insulation which involves vaulted ceilings and newer requirements. As for which requirements apply to you check with your local code official, where you pull your permits.

Bud
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...ceiling?page=2
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement