Using Old Spray Foam Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 302

Using Old Spray Foam Insulation

An insulation contractor near me is giving away two 50G drums of Bayseal CCXP closed-cell foam insulation (one 50G drum of part A, another of part B). The catch is that this is leftover from 2014-2015 and according to them, one of the parts (the B I think) has started to get a bit "goopy". They aren't willing to use it on a customer's house, so are giving it away rather than trying to dispose of it.

Is this worth jumping on? I'm just finishing framing on my house, and planned on paying for spray foam anyway (have several bids). But if I calculate correctly, this quantity should be close to enough to do my whole house.

Should I buy a cheap gun and try it out? Is there anyway to "thin" the part if it has gone goopy? Or am I likely to simply have a huge mess on my hands?
nobbyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 166

Re: Using Old Spray Foam Insulation

I don't know anything about applying spray foam other than doing it wrong can be a disaster, even burning your house down. What would you do if it didn't cure correctly and ended up off-gassing at some point in the future. There have been cases where companies have had to go back and remove ALL of their foam work, clean up the mess and restore the house. How do you spell "totaled"?

Don't walk away, run. Just my opinion.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
I don't know anything about applying spray foam other than doing it wrong can be a disaster, even burning your house down. What would you do if it didn't cure correctly and ended up off-gassing at some point in the future. There have been cases where companies have had to go back and remove ALL of their foam work, clean up the mess and restore the house. How do you spell "totaled"?

Don't walk away, run. Just my opinion.

Bud
Bud,
The more I read, the more I am inclined to agree with you...but I just can't get past that it can't be "that" hard. For the prices I've been quoted to have it done by a pro, I'm considering constructing a small dummy wall nowhere near my house and and trying it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 136

If it turns out you can't use it, how will you dispose of it? what will that cost?
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
If it turns out you can't use it, how will you dispose of it? what will that cost?
That's a good point. The guy I spoke to at the insulation co says what they do is get a a bunch of contractor-size trash bags, dump a few gallons of each part in them, and let the foam expand, at which point it's "inert". Which sounds like a massive PITA if indeed it doesn't work. And while I have tons of land, I have no interest in disposing of it improperly.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 54

Quote:
They aren't willing to use it on a customer's house, so are giving it away rather than trying to dispose of it.
They are not willing to use it on a customer’s house.
That should tell you something.

“Free” can cost you more than paying full price.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement