Unsheathed Walls In Detached Garage? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Fix'n it

Old 12-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Unsheathed walls in detached garage?

Okay so here's my situation: The home owner of the house I rent in has given me permission to turn their detached garage (about 40ft away from the house) into a space that my band can practice in, but only if I do my best to make it so that the neighbors aren't bothered by us when we play, which will only be during daytime hours, WITHOUT any "hard" construction. Basically whatever I decide to do cannot a.) be permanent. This means no sheathing like OSB or drywall, b.) involve any major construction or structural changes to or inside of the garage itself, and c.) make sure I don't cause damage to the structure by, say, incorrectly installing insulation in the walls and in the ceiling.

My plan is to insulate the entire garage without sheathing. Everything needs to be able to be broken down easily and quickly which is why I'm looking to fasten essentially everything using only staples. So here's my predicament: the batts I've installed in the walls have a paper vapor barrier. There's a warning on the paper that says that it must be covered/sheathed as the paper is flammable, however I cannot sheath the walls. My question is this: Should I staple plastic sheeting over the walls to cover the paper, remove the paper and go without a vapor barrier or should I remove the paper and put up plastic sheeting? These are really the only options I can think of unless there exists some kind of sheathing that can be stapled to the studs that I'm unaware of.

I can post pictures if requested.
m00py is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 110

Re: Unsheathed walls in detached garage?

unless you have a really sissy band, anything that you "can" do will not make much difference.
Bondo, joecaption and Bud9051 like this.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2016, 12:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,864

I cannot see how the owners would object to having a well-insulated garage when you are done. Are you sure they won't allow you to install insulation in a permanent fashion?
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2016, 03:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix'n it View Post
unless you have a really sissy band, anything that you "can" do will not make much difference.
+1...
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,858

Using the wrong type insulation to start with.
http://www.roxul.com/products/reside...39;n'sound
Even with the right insulation there needs to be much more done that your not being allowed to do.
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...roofing-walls/
Old 12-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 124

How far away are those neighbors and how sensitive are they going to be.

A nightclub in town went through extreme measures to eliminate the sounds from their music and still had complaints. They started by relying on the 12" concrete block walls, unacceptable. Ended up adding 3 layers of drywall glued together with an expensive soundproofing glue. Helped a lot, but still a few complaints.

Clearly you can never come close to what they built and even they could not eliminate all of the objections, and it only takes one to sink your ship.

My suggestion would be to build a freestanding room inside that garage and do some reading on an anechoic chamber. It would work well at keeping the sound from exiting that space, but I'm not sure you would like the sound of your music.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,858

What my son has had to do since the 90's is to rent space in the basement of a commercial building in a commercial area.
0 complaints in 10 years and low rent.
Advertisement