Spray Foam On Unframed Concrete Wall? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 320

Spray foam on unframed concrete wall?

I'm starting to think about insulation for my basement project.

I'm thinking spray foam is the way to go, but some parts of my wall have no studs (in a utility area) and some have studs 4-5 inches off the wall (to allow clearance for plumbing).

Can spray foam be applied directly to concrete without having any support offered by studs? Or should I be using XPS in these areas?
gizzygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 906

It must be covered with a code approved layer (whether that be drywall or some sort of intumescent).

It does not require studs for support.

Have you priced it out yet? Do not buy from the cheapest guy. Use a reputable firm and I think you can do just as good, if not better, with a well thought out approach and rigid foam.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
It must be covered with a code approved layer (whether that be drywall or some sort of intumescent).

It does not require studs for support.

Have you priced it out yet? Do not buy from the cheapest guy. Use a reputable firm and I think you can do just as good, if not better, with a well thought out approach and rigid foam.
I have received quotes from a few firms in the area (found using Angie's list reviews).

My biggest problem is most are booking 6-12 weeks out, which puts me in the middle of a New England winter...

My other issue is most of the basement is already framed, so using rigid foam may not be an option for some walls.

I'm considering a Frankenstein approach: buying a few DIY kits, for the rim joist and framed walls, and then sliding XPS into areas that I can fit. But I know XPS only has an R-value of 10 at 2 inches, which is a bit lower than I'd like...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 906

While I appreciate the DIY spirit...if you are doing any square footages of magnitude...don't bother.

The DIY kits aren't that good, don't yield that well, and are not as good or controlled a products as a professional rig will generate/produce.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-26-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
While I appreciate the DIY spirit...if you are doing any square footages of magnitude...don't bother.

The DIY kits aren't that good, don't yield that well, and are not as good or controlled a products as a professional rig will generate/produce.
Sounds like I'm better off just waiting for the pros then, and letting them spray the whole thing.

I wonder if I'll get decent results having them spray in the winter, or if I should just wait.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 109

I know that the surface temp has to be a certain minimum temp. My foam spray pro told me this. 50 degrees, maybe? You can run a heater to bring the surface temp up, but that might be hard as you get further into the winter and the frost gets into the ground.
MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement