Spray Foam In Rim Joist - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bud9051

Old 01-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Spray foam in rim joist

5000+ sq ft finished new construction with unfinished basement and attic. The spray foam along the rim board on two sides of the house was sprayed on the interior I-joist instead of the exterior wall. Installer says this is okay. Having my reservations I purchased a thermal camera and made this video this morning. Is this an acceptable job for the finished product?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

youtu.be/uTvdWbAPdP4

Or

youtube.com/watch?v=uTvdWbAPdP4&feature=youtu.be

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Coyote90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 98

Re: Spray foam in rim joist

Oh my!! I started making notes but it was getting too long.

Since you own the IR camera here are some tips to add credibility to your images.
1. Always note the outside temperature and whether the sun is shining on any of those exterior walls. At night is often best well after the sun goes down so surfaces have cooled.
2. Digital images that correspond to frames on your video will help us to understand what we are looking at.
3. Your camera is only giving us the center of the picture temp reading so locate that point on a cold spot to give us a reading. Review the camera manual to know how large of a spot they are reading, 3" circle at 4' or whatever.
4. You mentioned spray foam on only two rim joists on the inside but I don't know if that is what I'm looking at.

Assuming you have a couple of exhaust fans, bathroom and kitchen, turn them on and let them run. They will reduce the pressure inside the house and increase the infiltration enhancing you thermal images. I use my blower door at half speed when doing an energy inspection. If this is a 2 story you might need a large window fan to take the entire house negative to see air leaks at the upper ceiling level.

I'll post here but still looking at your video.

Bud
Coyote90 likes this.
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
Coyote90 (01-04-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

Re: Spray foam in rim joist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Oh my!! I started making notes but it was getting too long.

Since you own the IR camera here are some tips to add credibility to your images.
1. Always note the outside temperature and whether the sun is shining on any of those exterior walls. At night is often best well after the sun goes down so surfaces have cooled.
2. Digital images that correspond to frames on your video will help us to understand what we are looking at.
3. Your camera is only giving us the center of the picture temp reading so locate that point on a cold spot to give us a reading. Review the camera manual to know how large of a spot they are reading, 3" circle at 4' or whatever.
4. You mentioned spray foam on only two rim joists on the inside but I don't know if that is what I'm looking at.

Assuming you have a couple of exhaust fans, bathroom and kitchen, turn them on and let them run. They will reduce the pressure inside the house and increase the infiltration enhancing you thermal images. I use my blower door at half speed when doing an energy inspection. If this is a 2 story you might need a large window fan to take the entire house negative to see air leaks at the upper ceiling level.

I'll post here but still looking at your video.

Bud
Thanks so much for the help. I'll go out there tonight and update shortly.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Coyote90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement