Spray Foam Insulation...do Issues Still Exist??? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Spray Foam Insulation...do issues still exist???

I have two threads going here at once. I hope that's not frowned upon, but I need to make an informed decision QUICKLY. I have a fair bid hanging out here from an insulation contractor whom I promised an answer to by tomorrow.

My problem is that I've read LOTS of stuff about SPF in the last 4 days and now I'm not sure if I can trust this product or not. I've heard that if not applied properly, it can shrink...and can do so over a longer period of time (not just within the normal 24 hour curing time). All you have to do is Google "Spray foam problems" or "Shrinkage of Spray Foam" or something like that and up pops lots of links of issues folks have had. Once the dry wall is up, how would one know if this has happened? Most importantly, how would one FIX it at that point?! Tear out all of the drywall? YIKES!!!

A neighbor of mine owns several rental properties and is a real smart guy. Quite skilled in a wide variety of construction-related trades (master mechanic too). So I am inclined to trust his judgment when he says these issues are old ones and that I should not fear, but then...he has not had anyone apply spray foam at any of his properties. He also repeated the same thing I've read online; choose a reputable contractor. I think I have, but perhaps other SPF customers of this contractor are just are not aware their product has failed. Again, that pesky issue of the product being out of sight, due to being inside the wall. Or maybe the guy who applied their foam did so correctly...maybe my guy won't.

At any rate, I thought it worth getting feedback from forum users here. Any comments would be greatly appreciated so that I can make an informed decision. Soon. THANKS!!
spauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 982

Where are you planning on using it?

SPF has value in certain applications but if I can do it with traditional materials, that is what I normally opt for.

There are clear situations where SPF is a must and works great.

It is all about who is mixing and installing it.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 626

main reasons I do not use spray foam is the ROI or return on investment is very bad!
50 to 60 years before the cost savings pays for itself. As said there are applications for it. but all in all traditional insulation works best. most homes I build I speck out for Bibs Blown in blanket system
it is dry fiberglass with a 2.2 lb per square foot density. on a 2x6 wall it gives it a R-24 value and zero voids. An is way cheaper then foam
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

I had gotten some good advice at other locations in this forum (from Windows on Wash there too). After some consideration, I'm thinking my ceiling cavities are just too shallow to do a traditional vented roof (the proper way to install a roof with traditional materials). It has been suggested that I attach foam board ON TOP of the roof trusses, rather than between them, to provide ventilation space, but in my application this would not be ideal. Seems everything I'm reading says to use only spray foam if you are building a NON vented roof. Now I'm thinking of just doing SPF for the ceiling cavities and doing a combination of fiberglass and Prodex on all of the walls. This should save me significant $$ and solve my ceiling insulation conundrum. I already have the Prodex, otherwise I probably wouldn't spend the money on a radiant barrier for the walls. i probably have enough to do the ceiling too, on top of the SPF, if anyone thinks that's worth doing.
spauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 982

Post up some pictures spauld.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement