Sound Proofing Advice - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash
  • 1 Post By Chazzman

Old 03-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

Sound proofing advice

I have a 2015 built home in Minnesota and am finishing the basement. It is about 1,000 sq feet and I am looking for advice on how to best insulate for sound and vibration at a reasonable price.

I am not expecting total sound proofing but enough that I can watch movies, sleep, etc without a ton of noise transfer.

I am doing a drywall ceiling, and I think resilient channels are a given. But my questions are about insulation.

Should I use common fibreglass insulation? Roxul Safe and Sound? Denim? Combination of above?

Do I need to fill the hole cavity (it is about a foot deep of engineered trusses, see attached)?

Looking for any thoughts and opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Sound proofing advice-img_0408_1490463493541.jpg   Sound proofing advice-img_0409_1490463512823.jpg  
mattylance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 906

Re: Sound proofing advice

There are a handful of threads on here on sound proofing.

Definitely resilient channel, rubber isolators if its in the budget, and drywall.

The insulation is less important and there seems to be a difference of opinion if Roxul actually provides any tangible benefit over high FG.

What I have read says it does, but it is slight.

Roxul has done a good job of branding it as such and not it is sort of thought of in that capacity whether it is deserving of that label or not.

If it isn't much more, I prefer it. Again, most of it is going to come from what you do with the drywall, channel, isolators, i.e. the framing vibrations.

The insulation is secondary in terms of tiers of impact.
Nealtw likes this.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 906

Here is a thread comparing some of the insulation values.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f103/soun...edroom-225521/

Look for threads by Ted White. He was the soundproofing guru on here.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 44

Thanks for the quick replies. I have read a ton of articles on this but I can't seem to find my answers on the cavities and if they need to be completely filled. That would be a huge driver of cost especially if using alternatives to Fiberglas.
mattylance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 166

Hi matty,
Reducing sound transfer involved absorbing that energy or redirecting it and I'm not an expert on the subject, just have had some experience.
The resilient channels essentially prevent that energy from being passed on so it gets absorbed by the floor joists vibrating up and down.
Redirecting the sound involves angled surfaces, like cones. Just thinking out loud, if you install Roxul you might benefit by installing 24" pieces across each cavity angled up and back down creating two surfaces that no longer point directly at the drywall below.

Google "anechoic chamber" and look at some of the examples. With nothing inbetween the floor above and the drywall below you essentially have the worst case condition of sound waves being transmitted in parallel and hitting the drywall in parallel across its surface. If you set a piece of drywall at an angle across each cavity that energy would no longer arrive with the same energy. I'm having trouble explaining it, but egg cartons covering all surfaces in each cavity would send those sound waves in all directions thus reducing their effect once they get to the ceiling below.

I'll let you do the google and read.

Bud
Try this phrase for the search:
anechoic chamber pictures
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2

I have just finished my games room in the basement. General consensus is that more layers or roxul do not help very much. My drywall guy who has worked on theaters say that he recommends 5/8" drywall.... then resilient channel.. ... then another layer of 5/8" drywall. This is different from what I have heard others do. Would also make installation of lighting and electrical boxes in the ceiling challenging.

I replaced sections of ductwork with flexible duct to reduce sound transfer. The solid duct I covered with insulated socks. The drain pipes got wrapped in MLB (mass loaded vinyl), the main ducts got coated in an "anti-vibe" coating, and the duct up to the main bedroom on the second floor got a "duct muffler" installed on it (along with a variable speed booster fan).

People can go much further soundproofing, it all depends on how much you want to spend and how quiet you need it to be.
Nealtw likes this.
Chazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement