Sound Barrier: Roxul Safe N Sound (Lowes) Vs DB-3 Acoustical Barrier (Home Depot) - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Sound Barrier: Roxul Safe n Sound (Lowes) vs dB-3 Acoustical Barrier (Home Depot)

Anyone have experience dealing with these two sound barrier products? Can you shed some light on their effectiveness and which one might be better?

They are practically the same price ($60 for 32 sq ft).

Or is there a better alternative? I'm up for using unconventional/innovative/improvised materials too. Cost effectiveness is a big factor as I'm on a low budget.

The project is to block out sound between my bachelor studio and an adjacent bathroom & apartment that I want to rent out. Drywall is already stripped.

Any advice or input is welcome! Thanks!

Last edited by Quackerjack; 02-22-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Quackerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 27

I don't know how the two compare but I used Roxul around my basement furnace room and throughout my basement ceiling and loved working with it. (If the walls weren't already insulated with fibreglass I'd have gone back to buy it for them too.)

This guy describes it pretty well in comparison to fibreglass.
http://www.cottageontheedge.com/2008...over-pink.html

Last edited by KinNorth; 02-22-2014 at 07:37 PM.
KinNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KinNorth For This Useful Post:
Quackerjack (02-24-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 438

Which offers better sound proofing? I am told that there is not much difference between Roxul and Fiberglass. Is this true?
sbkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,570

Supposedly...there is no difference or advantage if you compare Roxul vs. quality fiberglass.

That being said, nearly everyone that I have every heard of doing any soundproofing is using Roxul as their fibrous fill.

Might just be better branding but I like the quality of Roxul better.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the input guys.

Well Roxul does have an insulation for temperature, separate from their sound insulation - I imagine there should be a difference (perhaps density?) but I would be interested to know what that is. Could just be marketing as Windows mentioned as a possibility.

But to clarify my question, I'm not comparing Roxul's stone wool to fibreglass. I'm comparing Roxul's stone wool (Safe n Sound) to dB-3 Acoustical Barrier which comes in rolls (I don't know what material it's made from - maybe a dense foam?).
Quackerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

As was mentioned, the difference is negligible between the two. Even between Roxul and regular Pink fiberglass.

It is important to note, simply putting insulation in the wall will not yeild the results you're looking for. Voices will still be heard in the next room. If you're on a budget you'll need to look into decoupling the drywall with Resilent channel, (cheapest decoupling option). Research short circuiting of Resilent channel to ensure you won't do it. Use 5/8" drywall for the walls at a minimum also. If you have any wall outlets on either side of the wall cover them with a fireproof putty to block sound from travelling through them. Fill any voids in the studding too. Sounds a bugger to stop and it'll fund any small crack to get through. This is the bare minimum of sound proofing. The costs for better soundproofing go up from here.

It's also important to know the local codes for renting out an adjacent appartment. Things that come to mind are min 5/8" drywall on the seperation walls, interconnected smoke alarms, proper fire doors. Depends on wether you want a legal rentable space or if you're just renting to a buddy.
Deseloth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deseloth For This Useful Post:
Quackerjack (03-15-2014), Windows on Wash (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 438

I couldn't agree more with Deseloth. I put R19 on ALL my interior walls but to no avail. With my hardwood floors, sounds just travels everywhere. I was thinking about replacing some with Roxul but I recall studies indicating minimal difference.
sbkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sbkim For This Useful Post:
Quackerjack (03-15-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
acoustical barrier , db-3 , roxul , safe n sound , sound insulation