Sofit Block For Blown In - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 438

Sofit Block for blown in

Hello folks,

I have yet another dumb question. I have blown in insulation that is held back by fiberglass batt (dam). However, as you can see from the circled area, there is some gap (day light) that may allow blown in to fall into sofit area.

Question is should 1) leave it be or 2) put some fiberglass to block this gap so blown in won't fall in. Also, can I have fiberglass touch small portion of the roof decking which I am reading isn't good. OR do I put baffle material to seal out this area from soffit - very difficult to do as the it's deep and dangerous with those nails from the roof deck

Many thanks in advance

sbkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #2

Wind washing?

"Installing foam blocks flush against existing attic baffles and sealing with foam gap sealant. Another is installing attic baffles/proper vents with a built-in wind barrier. Both of these methods ensure that the wind travels up the venting rather than into your house or the insulation.

Here is a link to a customer?s post-audit retrofit blog write up, where they installed foam blocking flush against the attic venting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #3

Re: Sofit Block for blown in

I can't edit my original post but found this site which seems to indicate that perhaps sealing out the sofit with baffle is better:

https://www.ecotelligenthomes.com/bl...affled-baffles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement