Seal Up A Standard Garage Door? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

Seal up a standard garage door?

Hi all. My house has some kind of shop/garage thing on the property, and I'm going to use it as an automotive hobbyist shop cause I love fixing up my old chevy truck. And just generally doing all my own vehicle maintenance and upgrades.

I think the original owner of the house did this too, cause the building is well insulated, even the standard size metal garage door. Well, the inside of the garage door, anyway. Its got little insulation panels sticking to the back of each panel on the door. So my question is, how can I better seal up the sides of the garage door?

Is there some kind of kit, that will still allow the door to raise, but won't let so much air out of the sides of the door? I have a window unit AC in there, and its rated for 650 square feet of cooling. The building is only 500 square feet. But here in the Texas heat, it can just barely keep up with the demand. It never really gets all that cool in there, it just sort of keeps you from breaking a sweat. Until you start working. It works better at night of course, but not much.
Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 03:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,870

About the best you can do is install the PVC and rubber strips on the outside of the door.
Any lumber yard, or box store will have them.
They come in at least two different lengths.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #3

Thanks man! I'll take a look. You never know, that might be all I need to get it all working great. Seeing as how I only run that AC when I'm out there working, so it won't be trying to cool that area all the time. So if some gets wasted its really no big deal as long as I can actually get it cool in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #4

Any insulation in the attic?
What type of roof venting and soffits vents are there?
Just having the proper roof vents can make a huge difference in the temperature.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #5

Its just a separate building with a metal roof and no attic. It is fully insulated on the inside though. I think the roof is that standard off white color, that you see on so many buildings. So I'm hoping that will help a little with the sun.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #6

But is there sheetrock and insulation on the ceiling?
If just the walls are insulated then that's why it's so hot in there.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #7

Where there is no sheetrock on the ceiling, but there is that insulation. Its that typical metal building insulation that you see. Where there is sort of like a white plastic backing, holding back the fiberglass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement