Rigid Foam For Pole Barn Roof? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Rigid foam for pole barn roof?

I have a 24x36 pole barn built in 1992 (I believe) I will be replacing popped screws and fixing leaks soon. It has rolled batt insulation inside the roof but no wall insulation. Can I replace the batt insulation with rigid by just cutting and fitting it in between the joists? I have no plans to insulate the walls. No pictures at the moment but I can get some tomorrow.
vhcambrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 188

Re: Rigid foam for pole barn roof?

Most guidance relates to a roof above a conditioned living space. Is this a barn or a barn shaped house, ie living space.

Warm air in the winter holds a lot of moisture so one must be careful to not allow that humid air to reach a cold surface. Thus fiber insulation is not allowed to be in contact with the bottom of your roof. Rigid insulation is however not air permeable and thus can provide protection from the cold while maintaining an inside surface that is above the dew point.

More information is needed to judge if your assembly will be fine or not and in any case codes and guidance varies so the final say remains with your local building department. Each can choose what guidance they wish to follow.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

Re: Rigid foam for pole barn roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Most guidance relates to a roof above a conditioned living space. Is this a barn or a barn shaped house, ie living space.

Warm air in the winter holds a lot of moisture so one must be careful to not allow that humid air to reach a cold surface. Thus fiber insulation is not allowed to be in contact with the bottom of your roof. Rigid insulation is however not air permeable and thus can provide protection from the cold while maintaining an inside surface that is above the dew point.

More information is needed to judge if your assembly will be fine or not and in any case codes and guidance varies so the final say remains with your local building department. Each can choose what guidance they wish to follow.

Bud
This is a Horse barn. Insulation inside the roof is used to keep the inside temperature down in the summer. It is in no way air tight as it has a stall opening into the one stall of 4'x7' (no door), 2-man doors and a roll up 8'x20' door that is used as the main door. Man doors are never used as they are not in the right places.

No protection from the cold is needed.

I did not build nor insulate it.
vhcambrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement