Retrofit Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2014, 01:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 978
Question

retrofit insulation

quick question on how to repair this. so i opened up the wall of the bathroom, about 6 ft section across. the insulation is completely rotted away, and there seems to be some type of wood panel/lathe wall the insulation was pressed against (it also looks like there is some styrofoam behind the wood?) this is an exterior wall. so what i am thinking is instead of putting R19 batts back in, can we spray foam inside the entire stud cavity to seal it off, and prevent further rot? although it's already 90% rotted away at this point anyways...

i am going to hang new drywall up afterward. so is foam a good idea? or just push new batts back in? please see pics

i guess my main question is how do you insulate an exterior wall properly
Attached Thumbnails
retrofit insulation-img_20141002_221552_607.jpg   retrofit insulation-img_20141002_221628_731.jpg   retrofit insulation-img_20141002_221341_509.jpg   retrofit insulation-img_20141002_221442_589.jpg   retrofit insulation-img_20141002_221450_630.jpg  

Last edited by federer; 10-03-2014 at 01:20 AM.
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,858

Sure looks like you have some major issues to deal outside before doing anything to fix what caused all that rot in the first place.
Covering up rot is not going to fix anything.
You would need a 2 X 6 wall to fit R19.
Looks like whoever installed that insulation compressed and twisted it. Compressed insulation is close to useless.
federer (10-03-2014), Windows on Wash (10-03-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 80

What is that black with white spot area, looks like a hole, or molded mess or some kind of garbage area?

You might have a whole lotta bad.

That batt next to the area is improperly placed as well.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
federer (10-03-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,858

Is that old steel pipe still active? Depending on your location which you neglected to include in your profile so we have to guess, supply lines should not have been run on outside walls in cold areas.
All that old steel plumbing at some point is going to need to be replaced. It's going to leak, plug up on the inside reducing flow, and leave rust stains on your fixtures.
No amount of water softening is going to stop the stains without getting rid of the iron pipes.
Windows on Wash (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 826

You have got bigger problems on the outside of the structure...I suspect.

You usually don't see that king of degradation from interior moisture and condensation.

Any chance of you telling us where the home is located and getting some exterior pics?

Joe's advice is spot on above...as usual.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
federer (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is that old steel pipe still active? Depending on your location which you neglected to include in your profile so we have to guess, supply lines should not have been run on outside walls in cold areas.
All that old steel plumbing at some point is going to need to be replaced. It's going to leak, plug up on the inside reducing flow, and leave rust stains on your fixtures.
No amount of water softening is going to stop the stains without getting rid of the iron pipes.
the pipe is a vent, not supply thank god!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
You have got bigger problems on the outside of the structure...I suspect.

You usually don't see that king of degradation from interior moisture and condensation.

Any chance of you telling us where the home is located and getting some exterior pics?

Joe's advice is spot on above...as usual.
i am in your area actually right outside DC

see the outside looks fine. just regular vinyl siding. i had no idea it was like this in the bathroom. they had old tile for the bath surround, with no fan. we put in a new exhaust fan. not sure if this means anything
Old 10-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
What is that black with white spot area, looks like a hole, or molded mess or some kind of garbage area?

You might have a whole lotta bad.

That batt next to the area is improperly placed as well.

ED
haha you and me both ED-that white spot looks like styrofoam! i was confused myself, but it looks like the black stuff is rotted wood, and behind this rot is that white stuff. i want to say its a whole sheet of styrofoam
Old 10-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #9

by teh way thank you all for helping-this was not what i expected to find and its killing my project deadline
Old 10-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
JUSTA MEMBER

That Styrofoam could be the insulation for the vinyl siding.

When Vinyl first came out they used Styrofoam backer/ insulation.

As I said you need to look better at it, have Window wash, come over to advise in person if he will.

And hope that the "rotted wood" stuff is not your original house siding.

ED
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
federer (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #11

Quote:
That Styrofoam could be the insulation for the vinyl siding.

When Vinyl first came out they used Styrofoam backer/ insulation.

As I said you need to look better at it, have Window wash, come over to advise in person if he will.

And hope that the "rotted wood" stuff is not your original house siding.

ED
the 'rotted wood' is wafer thin. i poked at it gently and you can tell its like 1/8 inch. thaat cant be the original siding right?

yea i think the styrofoam is the backing to the siding...so basically all i have left is the siding. i thought they put housewrap or whatever else behind it?? what happened to the actual wall?
Old 10-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer View Post
the 'rotted wood' is wafer thin. i poked at it gently and you can tell its like 1/8 inch. thaat cant be the original siding right?

yea i think the styrofoam is the backing to the siding...so basically all i have left is the siding. i thought they put housewrap or whatever else behind it?? what happened to the actual wall?
Probably not original siding.

As for what happened to the original wall, you would need to ask an original owner, and or the contractor who sided the home.

I would speculate that someone just covered up the mess to sell it and run with the money. AKA House flipper.

Both probably not an option, so your best option is to remove what you have to, to get to a solid base to rebuild from.

Yes I know that this is costly/ time consuming, and annoying.

But I have always said, " If you are going to do it, do it right the first time".

ED
Old 10-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer View Post

Hi there. Just a wild thought, but could that black wafer thin piecemeal be disintegrated tar paper? Looks like some decent wood under itů
ProGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProGreen View Post
Hi there. Just a wild thought, but could that black wafer thin piecemeal be disintegrated tar paper? Looks like some decent wood under itů
no its wood. it looks like lathe kinda you can see where the planks end individually its laid horizonal. the black stuff is the old kimsul insulation thats wet and stuck to it
Old 10-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Probably not original siding.

As for what happened to the original wall, you would need to ask an original owner, and or the contractor who sided the home.

I would speculate that someone just covered up the mess to sell it and run with the money. AKA House flipper.

Both probably not an option, so your best option is to remove what you have to, to get to a solid base to rebuild from.

Yes I know that this is costly/ time consuming, and annoying.

But I have always said, " If you are going to do it, do it right the first time".

ED
no budget and time i think we are just gonna cover it up and drywall it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement