Reroofing This Week--air Sealing - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 132

Reroofing this week--air sealing

Good evening,

A roofing crew is coming tomorrow, and all the original delaminated 3/8" plywood sheathing will be removed. My roof has hips at either end and, with a low pitch, has very poor access to the edges. The home has most of its original dense-pack cellulose in the walls and about 8" of compacted blown-in cellulose in the attic.

I have half the attic insulation out for a kitchen remodel, courtesy of a Harbor Freight dust collection vacuum and several hours of crawling around. As nasty as the old insulation was, I'd like to remove the rest of it some time next year and replace with clean, brand new cellulose. While the insulation is out I will air seal all the top plates. Sealing at the exterior walls and hips is another matter entirely--the hips are basically inaccessible because of the truss construction.

The roofers will also install black plastic ventilation baffles. They are the ones carried locally at Lowes that do not provide any blockage of the gap between the baffle and the top plate.

It seems like it would be a good idea, while the roof is off, to

1. air seal around the top plates
2. stuff something under each baffle to prevent new blown-in insulation from entering the soffits

For #1, I have a 24-ounce can of Great Stuff crack filler foam and the pro gun. I also plan to get a dozen tubes of silicone caulk tonight in case that works better.

For #2, I was planning to pick up a package of Roxul R-15 ComfortBatts and cut into 23" x 4" pieces to place under each baffle. (Not stocked locally in 24" width so I'd have to cut the batts in half.) That way, when I blow insulation later, it won't clog my soffits. The insulation pieces will sit only on the top plate and not extend onto the drywall.

The roofers will be moving right along once the roof is off, so I need to be able to jump in there and work quickly.

Any thoughts on this plan? Is caulk the way to go?
ablodneyget is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 796

Re: Reroofing this week--air sealing

You won't be able to do it with the sheeting off you can do it from the attic or the soffit area. Unless al the sheeting is coming off, then you might get them to do it after the first sheet is done.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
You won't be able to do it with the sheeting off you can do it from the attic or the soffit area. Unless al the sheeting is coming off, then you might get them to do it after the first sheet is done.
Thank you for your reply. All the sheathing will be coming off, but one section at a time. My hope was to jump up there with a ladder and a caulk gun to seal it. Why would it not be feasible?
ablodneyget is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablodneyget View Post
Thank you for your reply. All the sheathing will be coming off, but one section at a time. My hope was to jump up there with a ladder and a caulk gun to seal it. Why would it not be feasible?
You would be a distraction on the job and have to be equipped with you own safety gear. You become his responsibility which would effect his insurance. I would expect him to say no, but for a few buck he likely would do it as part of the job.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement