Replacing Wall (Bat) Insulation During Residing? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 169

Replacing Wall (Bat) Insulation During Residing?

Hey Guys,
I'm going to be residing my house and adding some sheathing to it as well since they only put on foam board under the original siding when it was built.
The one side of the house has had woodpecker issues for years, constantly patching them, but I'm assuming there's a bunch of nesting material and cavities under the foam. I'd like to pull it all out and re-insulate it before I put up the new sheathing; I plan on using zip-system or tyvek wrap.
What should I be concerned about with regards to the vapor barrier? I think it was originally built with plastic sheeting on the drywall side.
Should I just pull out the bad areas and replace with unfaced insulation?
Thanks for any suggestions!
52Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,562

Re: Replacing Wall (Bat) Insulation During Residing?

You need to confirm that and if that is the case, the wall needs to be able to dry to the outside so use the right type of insulation and any foam.

Air tightness is critical.

With regards to your question, you have a unique opportunity to improve the envelope and efficiency of the home. If you aren't afraid of the work...do it.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,370

Vapor barrier goes on the warm side, so no need to address on the exterior, and any insulation should be unfaced if you already have plastic poly under the drywall.

It sounds like an 80's era house with the foam sheathing and vinyl siding to match the cost level? You might then have 48" of plywood on the corners unless they just used braces. I note that because woodpeckers will bore for food if its present there. Termites or something else going on? Also it will be a little difficult to re-sheath a whole wall face in plywood if you are leaving the windows and doors.

Are you re-sheathing and re-insulating just where the critters might be or are you trying to accomplish an energy savings goal for all the exterior walls simultaneously while you're re-siding?
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,736

Woodpeckers and other birds peck on houses for couple of reasons, signalling and calling during mating season, and looking for bugs. Probably not nesting. Putting insulation batts in will reduce the amount of pecking because it will no longer sound hollow and the sound will not carry as much. This is why birds seem to favor chimney chases, because they are always hollow.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement