Replaced Weatherstripping, But There's Still Light Coming Through - What's Next? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dubau2

Old 01-27-2019, 01:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Replaced weatherstripping, but there's still light coming through - what's next?

I replaced the weather stripping on my front door for the first time in probably decades. I could actually see light coming through. Taking the old stuff out and putting the new stuff in was pretty trivial. However, there is still light getting through the crack. What's the next step to insulating the door?

Here's an album showing the light getting through the door and the new weather stripping that I put in:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4ZxfNPE8m4CGMF8JA

Thanks for your help!
billNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 124

Re: Replaced weatherstripping, but there's still light coming through - what's next?

Hi Bill,
Just saying Hi as I don't do well with doors. The ones I have had to seal have all involved getting the door and frame to close uniformly then deal with the seal.

I'll watch from the sidelines.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 66

Re: Replaced weatherstripping, but there's still light coming through - what's next?

Hi, Bill,

When standing on the outside of the door and you close it, can you see the weatherstripping compressing against the door when it closes?
Toolmaker68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 98

Check your door for a perfect flat surface.

Sometimes with age, abuse, or poor materials, they warp.

Get a 6 ' level, place it against the door, inside and outside, near the edge, and see if there is any gaps in the space where the level should be against the door, if any light then you can try to seal it, but it's better to get new doors, frame and all.

Sometimes there is a way to move the weather stripping closer to the door, is there screws holding the strip frame?

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

Not sure if anything ever happened with this. I'm experiencing this now and instead of moving the insulation location itself I've moved the door closer to the insulation by moving the strike plate, deadbolt strike, and the hinges forward say 1/4" depending on your gap of course. Predrilled the holes and used longer screws to ensure that they didnt fall into the previous ones. This worked like a champ. I've got two other doors to do this with but it has created a nice seal.
de-nagorg likes this.
Dubau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement