DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Recessed Lights for vaulted ceiling

6K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Richard Pryor 
#1 ·
Any recessed light approved for use on a vaulted ceiling?

It’s pretty easy to make these air tight in an attic but that seems impossible on a vaulted ceiling? Anything from amazon or Home Depot would be great.

#8 ·
I don’t like cans in a vaulted ceiling. Too many potential problems and always expensive. Even changing light bulbs is a lot different when they may be 15-20 ft off the floor.

Put a couple of ceiling fans with 4 light fitters in there. That should give you plenty of light. You will use fewer bulbs and they will be much closer to the floor when they need changing.

Fans running in reverse are great for blowing the heat out of the vault and back down near floor level during the winter time.

#3 ·
This guy found plastic boxes but the same thing can be made out of 6 mil poly, and seal the hole around the wire entry point.
You do this even when you are not doing a vapour barrier you just add a sealer to it before you put the drywall to it.

#5 ·
#13 · (Edited)
What part of the country are you in. If you live in the north, putting cans in a vault may be asking for trouble. Vaults are a notorious moisture and mold problem area due to the thin cavity. Adding the cans, reduces insulation, and likely will contribute to air leaks. If too much heat is lost in the area, it could contribute to condensation and possibly ice dams.

Personally, I would look for another way to light the area.

#25 ·
What’s your opinion on these @Nealtw ? Still debating which lights to use. Those round lights that fit the 4” junction boxes are not meant to be 15’ height to illuminate.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Globe-E...e-Integrated-LED-Recessed-Kit-91219/303240034

I think this would be about as good a option as you are going to get. Only thing better would be a complete surface mount option.
But this light should throw off very little to no heat, which is critical to preventing condensation on the cold roof deck. It also seals against the drywall to prevent air leakage. 700 lumans is not terribly bright, but equal to a 65 watt bulb while only drawing 13 watts of energy. There is also a no glare option to this light that may be of interest.

#28 · (Edited)
@Yodaman is this the way you’d go?

Yes, I think so, for the reasons listed above. I might want the no glare option pending the height and direction of the installation. Would probably buy one of each to inspect prior to doing several.

However, one possible problem, without a rotating eyeball aiming it down, is the possibility of lights shinning directly into your eyes, since you will be mounting on a cathedral ceiling. Here again, think I would get a sample
and try to surface mount it on the ceiling to test.

Side note, I have a closet and a bath in my upper level bungalo with low cathedrals. I used track lighting in those rooms. Not sure I am completely happy with them, but it did solve the issue of several penetrations into the ceiling. They originally came with halogens and were hotter than heck, but I have since replaced them LEDS which solved the heat issue too.

#29 · (Edited)
One thing to consider and it might not matter is do you want the light to be designed to follow the slope of the ceiling like these... so the bulb itself points straight down... vs the lights all essentially pointing the middle of the room...these are air tight and IC rated..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07237QR5H/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_tai_JqvCCb1S08KDR

Need to put my glasses on.. Yodaman already mentioned the consideration of the direction of the light...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.