Plan For Attic Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By NotYerUncleBob2

Old 11-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Plan for attic insulation

Hello,

My house has cathedral ceilings for a good part of it. The upstairs is more of a loft area with 2 bedrooms. The attached pictures are attic spaces on either side of said bedrooms accessed through hatches on the walls in the bedrooms...its as weird as it sounds. Anyway, we have a serious stink bug problem in the fall and ice dams in the winter. There is pine board on the ceilings that I know for a fact have many air gaps where the bugs have been getting in and the warm air out.

Based on the attached pictures, does anyone have any idea how I can seal these spaces up better? I do have soffits so I'm guessing the white styrofoam pieces between the rafters are for ventilation out the peak? I believe the bugs are going up through there and getting into the living space through holes in the pine board. I don't think there is much I can do with the holes in the pine board other than maybe some "great stuff" through the living space.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Plan for attic insulation-img_20181109_161119.jpg   Plan for attic insulation-img_20181109_160535.jpg   Plan for attic insulation-img_20181109_160530.jpg   Plan for attic insulation-img_20181109_160519.jpg   Plan for attic insulation-img_20181109_160548.jpg  

captblackmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 576

Re: Plan for attic insulation

The soffit out sides should have a vented something with a screen so bugs don't enter.

The tan coloured card board that you see up there should reach out into the soffit area to allow air in from the soffits and the should have something like bat material under them so lose insulation doesn't fall out to the soffit.

Heat leaks from the top of the wall and warms the roof, melts the snow which moves down the roof and re freezes causing ice dams.

We need air to move the heat away from the top of the wall so it is important to have a gap for air over the wall and over the insulation above the bedrooms all the way to vents at or near the peak so it can get out.

So I would make sure all that is working or set up properly to work.
Bud9051 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
captblackmer (11-13-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 11:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,060

A tongue and groove ceiling with can lights is going to have all sorts of air leakage going through it unless it has a layer of drywall behind it. Insulation won't really help against air leakage and air leakage is a great way to move heat and moisture.
I don't have a real suggestion other than to remove the T&G, insulate, seal, drywall, then put the T&G back unless you have another way to get into that vaulted ceiling. If you were due for a new roof, then you have some options attacking it from above.
Bud9051 likes this.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NotYerUncleBob2 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 11:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 52

what about spray foam?
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #5
retired framer

Most of the house has vaulted ceiling , spending big money on the little attic areas would not be cost effective.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 154

The solution you don't want to hear, as already suggested, is a do-over and do it right. T&G is nice to look at but if not air sealed with a rigid backing, like drywall, moisture and heat loss will do a lot of damage.

You didn't state your location but doubtful those rafters are deep enough to allow sufficient insulation plus the ventilation path.

Last year I watched, as I drove by, a large nursing home add 5" of rigid foam to the roof and then new sheathing and shingles. When inside insulation cant do the job that is the $$$ solution.

Bud
Old 11-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 8

Thanks all for the input. Unfortunately, the rip it out and put drywall is what i feared I might be told. It is also not in the cards. Luckily, I haven't seen any moisture problems inside the house yet, just the ice damming.

My plan this winter is to fight the ice dams with the heat trace. Not sure to do about the bugs; the soffits already have mesh so I'm not sure what to do.

Looking at upgrading to a metal roof in the next few years. We have a pretty steep roof so hopefully all the snow just sloughs off at that point.
captblackmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
retired framer

When you do the roof with metal you could look at pros and cons of foam board under the metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement