Need Advice Please!!?!?! - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2014, 04:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Need advice please!!?!?!

Hello everyone my name is lewis. I live in Houston Texas and I am wanting to redo my room. I actually want to sound proof it, I'm a day sleeper and I have 3 roommates and one very rambunctious 7 year old . I tend to get woken up through out the day when I have to go to work at night. Our house is old and it is bought and paid for. But my room tends to get very hot during the summer and cold during the winter, I have a window ac unit and space heater. I am on a VERY tight budget. So my way of thinking is to rip out the old drywall put brand new insulation up ,?plus use something from Home Depot call "Quite Brace" sheating sound deeding (it's 8.00 a sheet),and then install 1/2in 4/8 drywall. I have never done anything like this before so I'm wondering do yall think that will cut out all the sound by making my room sound proof,and make my room cold during the summer and hot during the winter? My room is 13 x 13. My apologies if I posted this on the wrong section. Thank you in a advance. lewis

Sent from my iPhone using diychatroom.com
Maxwell1869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 944

I imagine the walls are already insulated if you are on an outside wall. If you have interior walls, likely not.

Where are you in the home layout? Is the home only one floor and is the noise coming through the walls?

Here is a good link for sound proofing the ceiling but you could likely use must the same application with the walls.

If the walls are insulated, some green glue and QuietRock would probably do the trick.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...oof-a-ceiling/
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Maxwell1869 (10-20-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #3

Need advice please!!?!?!

Thank you so much for the quick reply. The house was built in 1949 or 1952 I think . My roommates dad gifted it to my roommate. My room is 13 x 12 of 13x13 it is a single story house. My room is located off the living room / kitchen area. The wall towards the living room(interior wall) yes sound comes through. As matter fact on the outside walls sounds comes thur there as well. I ask my roommates dad if the outside walls was insulated and he said they should be he wasn't for sure. But I don't think they are because it gets 80 to 90 degrees in my room during the summer even with window unit turned down to 60 and a fan going at the same time. Same thing for the winter happens. I was going to get some owens Corning 3.5 in insulation install that first the on top of that I was going to use the quietbrace sheeting sound deadening over the insulation the over those two things put some 1/2 4x8 Sheetrock . The living room tv is now directly of my wall so I would like it to be where I can't hear the tv or talking so it doesn't wake me up during the day.

Last edited by Maxwell1869; 10-20-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #4

I hit send by accident sorry I was going to install the insulation, quietbrace from homdepot , and drywall over my entire room. . I don't have a lot of money to do this but do you think this would work? Thank you

Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

It will give you some measured improvement.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:12 AM   #6

thank you. do you suggest anything else i could do to make it more sound proof? or should i be fine with this insulation, quiet brace and 1/2 sheetrock as far as sound goes? thank you once again. Lewis
Old 10-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Without tearing down the Sheetrock, there isn't much more to do. Seal the outlets in the shared walls.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 383

Roxual batts are suppose to be good for sound damping, you could put them in the walls. You might insulate from the house side with foam sheets, under the siding.
Then your dry wall:
Bailey Metal Products
Resilient Channel X 12'

The other thing is that sound travels through the air, so make sure you VB is tight.
begal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement