Master Bedroom Cold Above Garage - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Master Bedroom Cold above Garage

Hi Everyone,

I posted these same questions in the building and construction section, which might have been the wrong section on the forum. I had purchased a new townhouse less than a year ago. My master bedroom is directly above the attached garage. I have been having issues with the master bedroom being very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer. I have also noticed a lot of frost and condensation on the garage walls and ceiling during the winter, even to the point I was having mini icicles forming on the ceiling. I asked the builder his thoughts and he stating it is a colder winter than normal which is causing the problem. I did not believe it so I removed the garage ceiling's dry wall. I have attached the pictures of what I found. I live in Western New York and I am not an expert so I do not know the proper code or the proper way to insulate an attached garage, but things just do not look right. Could anyone point me in the right direction where I can find out how to properly insulate an attached garage and air seal/fire block the ceiling bays. It looks like the ceiling bays were left wide open which could cause a fire hazard and might promote mold and rot over time with the indoor warm/moist air mixing with colder dry garage air. I am wondering if that also could be the source on the condensation/frost I saw on the garage walls and ceiling. The big question, is there an issue? If so, what is the right to fix the ceiling and insulation? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
eagle107
Attached Thumbnails
Master Bedroom Cold above Garage-ceiling1.jpg   Master Bedroom Cold above Garage-ceiling2.jpg   Master Bedroom Cold above Garage-ceiling3.jpg   Master Bedroom Cold above Garage-ceiling4.jpg   Master Bedroom Cold above Garage-ceiling5.jpg  

eagle107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 942

Answered in other thread.

Insulate the ribbon board that faces the front outside wall with at least 2 inches of rigid foam.

Seal any gaps and cracks in that outside wall so as to minimize outside air being able to make it into the garage space.

Make sure the garage door is properly weatherstripped and adjusted for optimum fitment.

After all that is done install batt insulation in the joist cavity while leaving an air gap between the underside of the bedroom flooring.

Cover the exposed wood joist with rigid foam, seal all the gaps and cracks, and then cover with fire rated drywall.

Be sure to seal off any jobs or cracks weather might be in communication with the garage space.

If you were sure that there is no communication between the garage space and the upstairs space, you can actually cut a small hole in a duct line to blow a little conditioned air into those joist cavities.

If you want that air to circulate, you can cut some cross overs in the joists. Be sure to not undermine the joist structure.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement