Kraft Faced Paired With Foam Board - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Kraft faced paired with foam board

My house was built in 1912. The studs measure true 2x4". I live in iowa....a "cold" climate. I'm looking to completely fill in stud cavity with insulation. Can't find batting that measure 4" thick. Can only find 3 1/2x15" batting. Could I install a 1/2" foam board in stud cavity against outer sheeting sealing with foam sealant around perimeter and lay kraft faced fiberglass batting against foam board to accommodate the 4" needed? I'm confused on the vapor barrier rules as far as the do's and dont's. I am not looking to spray foam the cavities due to budget restricrions... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
bniem77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 818

Vapor barrier recommendations are based on area.

https://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCodeReqs/?state=Iowa

What does the out sheeting consist of as well as the cladding (siding, stucco, etc.)?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

I believe the outside sheeting is 1x6 boards and the exterior is aluminum siding.
bniem77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 818

If there is no housewrap on the home, I am sure there is a bunch of air streaming between those boards.

A small layer of foam, sealed to the studs, isn't a bad idea. You will need to research on what style and facing to put on the foam (if any) to make sure the wall can still dry out in one direction or another. Typically, you vapor control layer is on the warm side of the wall.

http://buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-controlling-cold-weather-condensation-using-insulation
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement