Knee Wall Insulation - Attic Side - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Knee Wall Insulation - Attic Side

Hi all. I've searched but cannot find the answer to my specific question. I have a bonus room with 5' knee walls with R-19 insulation and want to increase the R value while air sealing the walls. Some sites say that I need to protect against radiant heat. I have sealed all outlets in the room so I'm ready to air seal the knee wall.

I believe there are 2 good options but I'm not sure which is best. Add 2" rigid foam board (R-10). Or add reflective bubble wrap (fixes radiant heat). The foam board is ~55% more expensive which I don't mind unless I will have the same performance with the cheaper option.

This site talks about using foam board but is geared towards snow bound states: Fine Home Building - Two Ways to Insulate Attic Kneewalls
jmooney5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
vr4

Rewards Points: 12

Re: Knee Wall Insulation - Attic Side

The material costs here will probably be pretty trivial, especially for such a small space. My vote would be to go with the expensive stuff.
vr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement