Just Found Water In Kitchen Cabinet - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By jfmartel
  • 1 Post By DR P

Old 12-27-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 68

Just found water in kitchen cabinet

Hi, it's freezing cold outside and I just found water in a cabinet. Not the kind of stuff I was looking for when I opened it.
I went for hours in the attic moving insulation to finally find a small crack below the insulation.

I bought a can of spray foam but sadly, that didn't do the trick.

Here is the inside shots:

As you can see, the cabinet doesn't go completely in the corner as I suspect that electrical wire are running there.

I'm pretty sure that I'll found either ice or a lot of water behind that cabinet.

What are my solutions?

1)Completely uninstall cabinet, check and correct (deficient) insulation and reinstall cabinet?
2)Open from the top to see what's going on?
3)Combination or both?

Last edited by jfmartel; 12-27-2017 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Title fix
jfmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 362

Re: Just found water in kitchen cabinet

the cupboard area will likely dry up if you have caught it early. The bigger question is the cause of the water in the attic. Ice dam on roof, roof leak, something else?
MTN REMODEL LLC and Dave Sal like this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
the cupboard area will likely dry up if you have caught it early. The bigger question is the cause of the water in the attic. Ice dam on roof, roof leak, something else?
No ice on the roof. Hot air from the kitchen goes up in the attic (from I don't know where) and goes liquid there. That's what I suspect.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmartel View Post
No ice on the roof. Hot air from the kitchen goes up in the attic (from I don't know where) and goes liquid there. That's what I suspect.
Warm moist air leaking to the attic is bad news when it reaches any cold surface the moisture will condense. So you will need to plug any hole that alow air from the house into the attic and then make sure you have air flow from the soffet to venting higher in the roof. That moves any heat coming from the top of the exterior wall.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 122

I can't figure out your pictures that well, maybe a couple from farther back. But kitchen cabinets often have a drop ceiling above then that creates an air path into the attic.

During really cold weather the air flow increases so it is very important to seal every possible leak. I have seen ice over a foot thick and wow what a mess when spring came. I'll add a link of air sealing of all sorts.
https://www.energystar.gov/ia/partne...ide_062507.pdf

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
I can't figure out your pictures that well, maybe a couple from farther back. But kitchen cabinets often have a drop ceiling above then that creates an air path into the attic.

During really cold weather the air flow increases so it is very important to seal every possible leak. I have seen ice over a foot thick and wow what a mess when spring came. I'll add a link of air sealing of all sorts.
https://www.energystar.gov/ia/partne...ide_062507.pdf

Bud
This is full shot of the problematic area

Old 12-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
This is full shot of the problematic area

I think he wanted more of the attic.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 122

If you jump to pages 70-72 in that link it talks about drop ceilings over kitchen cabinets. If the framing for the drop was installed directly to the wall studs and ceiling joists before the drywall was installed then air from the wall cavities would have direct access to the attic, fiberglass insulation does not block air flow. And often the plumbing under the sink provides a large opening to help feed air to that path. Additional holes from electrical and other plumbing make those drops a real problem. From the attic (if you can squeeze into that area) you can often see the void above the cabinets and determine how it was constructed. Figure 5.3.3 illustrates the desired air barrier along with sealing openings under the sink and any other penetrations you can access up there or from the basement.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Quote:
condensation potential sure... but -

don't rule out roof - when is last time you had precipitation ? how old are shingles? any snow accumulation still on roof above ? gutters installed? any roof penetrations near by?

the 1st pic of attic shows water stains in right hand corner - goes as far up structure as pic allows me to see...

seams in sheet rock look water damaged for both attic pics

2nd pic of attic is evidently different bay; so is it to right or left of 1st pic?
any way; looks like potential water stains on left hand side - possibly on right side too - hard to tell with insulation in way and angle of views...

water runs down hill; is water condensing on roof sheeting or is this leak from/through roofing from precipitation? maybe both? watchful eye of attic and cabinet for wetness during precipitation & or during thaws is where I'd start given the pictures presented...

Peace
Nealtw likes this.
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR P View Post
condensation potential sure... but -

don't rule out roof - when is last time you had precipitation ? how old are shingles? any snow accumulation still on roof above ? gutters installed? any roof penetrations near by?

the 1st pic of attic shows water stains in right hand corner - goes as far up structure as pic allows me to see...

seams in sheet rock look water damaged for both attic pics

2nd pic of attic is evidently different bay; so is it to right or left of 1st pic?
any way; looks like potential water stains on left hand side - possibly on right side too - hard to tell with insulation in way and angle of views...

water runs down hill; is water condensing on roof sheeting or is this leak from/through roofing from precipitation? maybe both? watchful eye of attic and cabinet for wetness during precipitation & or during thaws is where I'd start given the pictures presented...

Peace
I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow but right now it's REALLY cold outside, like -20C. Weather is below freezing point for over a month, I'd be really surprised if it comes from the roof.

I'll check and report.

Thanks all for your input.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #11

I think that I found my problem. Part of my kitchen is cantilever and badly insulated. That's something I know since I moved there. But today I discovered that the plumbing vent is running at this corner (pic #3). Behind the cabinet, the vent is barely insulated if not at all. At the roof, the vent is running through the soffit and going outside. All this plumbing is in copper which is very conductive.

Imgur is down at the moment and cannot post picture. I'll upload later.

Question: Are plumbing vent in an attic should be insulated (the part running in the attic)?
Old 12-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
retired framer

If it is caused by cold, you have to much moisture in the air in the attic or house.
These kinds of bump outs are often under insulated and some times they are 2x4 constructed in a 2x6 house just to make them fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement