It's Time To Insulate That 'ol Attic Finally - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nealtw

Old 11-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 72

It's time to insulate that 'ol attic finally

By attic it really more a crawl space, you can't stand up. So unfinished, uninsulated on the roof, the house ceiling insulated with whatever gray stuff was in fashion in 1951. Eaves extend about 1.5' past the house walls, numerous round vents all around the perimeter of the house, plus two whirly vents up top.

The object of the exercise is just to contain some heat from leaking out the top, and also cold leaking in in winter/heat leaking in in summer. The house walls have zero insulation because in postwar SoCal nobody was paying for that I guess.

I don't intend to have someone come out and spray foam-I'm guessing it would be more expensive, and then it's a hassle with my dog. Whereas I can get my uncle-in-law (whom the dog adores) to insulate with rolls or batts or whatever. In some future, I may want to run wiring for surround speakers, FM and/or TV antennas, so that's another consideration.
--> Recommendations?
I did read some links from other threads about sealing off heat gaps and so on, so that will be something to work on.
Head_Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 750

Re: It's time to insulate that 'ol attic finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_Unit View Post
By attic it really more a crawl space, you can't stand up. So unfinished, uninsulated on the roof, the house ceiling insulated with whatever gray stuff was in fashion in 1951. Eaves extend about 1.5' past the house walls, numerous round vents all around the perimeter of the house, plus two whirly vents up top.

The object of the exercise is just to contain some heat from leaking out the top, and also cold leaking in in winter/heat leaking in in summer. The house walls have zero insulation because in postwar SoCal nobody was paying for that I guess.

I don't intend to have someone come out and spray foam-I'm guessing it would be more expensive, and then it's a hassle with my dog. Whereas I can get my uncle-in-law (whom the dog adores) to insulate with rolls or batts or whatever. In some future, I may want to run wiring for surround speakers, FM and/or TV antennas, so that's another consideration.
--> Recommendations?
I did read some links from other threads about sealing off heat gaps and so on, so that will be something to work on.
You discretion of the old insulation is a bit lacking. First thing is to check that for asbestos before disturbing to much. You just take a sample to a local lab that checks this stuff.
Head_Unit and Dave Sal like this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement