Insulation In Main Wire Run Stud Cavity - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 229

Insulation in main wire run stud cavity

I am wondering what the best way is to insulate behind, around, and in front of these wires? I wish I knew and put a 2" thick xps foam board before they ran the wires. I asked if minimal expanding foam would be okay....and was told yes. I think I may have been misunderstood though because from reading it sounds like the foam's chemicals will leach plasticizers from the wire sheathing AND/OR cause tons of heat from the thermal barrier.

As of now I am considering tucking 2" of mineral wool behind the wire then 2" in front and leaving a empty channel where the wires reside. This is a 2x6 exterior wall. I don't want to just leave it with 0 insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Insulation in main wire run stud cavity-img_20151107_160737428_1446934401318.jpg  
AlphaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,528

Splitting the batt and tucking some behind is what manufacturers recommend at least.. Essentially it sandwiches the wires and avoids compressing the batt.. There are people here that know more than me thou so they might have some better recommendations...

I just insulated a foyer and had all kinds of electrical i had to split batts for up ways sideways etc.. Some where really puzzles with electrical running from the top, bottom, sides, into a box and out again.. Good times...
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 878

Like was said, split the batt.

If you have a froth pak of SPF, you can spray that outside sheathing too.

Batt should do fine. Be sure to seal any gaps or cracks in the outside wall before insulating.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement