Insulation Crawl Space - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By chandler48

Old 08-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 102

Insulation Crawl Space

I have a 13 x 13 foot first level addition built in the back of my ranch house. There is a crawl space under it. Because 1 side of the addition is attached to my house, there's technically only 3 exterior crawl space walls that need to be insulated. The crawl space walls are 2x4s studded out on a concrete foundation which was laid on the perimeter of the addition. The actual floor of the crawl space is dirt. The concrete foundation is about 5 inches high and the bottom plate 2x4s sit about 6 inches from the edge of the concrete...so there's a little ledge there. I can have my subcontractor spray closed cell foam down there to replace all the fiberglass that's falling out and lay a new vapor barrier over the dirt (which is now old tar paper that has a lot of rips in it). Something to note is there is a 2 by 2 foot opening into my basement from the crawl space so that's why the walls need to be insulated opposed to the floor.

So my question...can I attach rigid foam insulation over the 2x4s myself to save a bit of money? If so, would I overlap the vapor barrier with that foam somehow to cover the concrete or isn't that necessary?

Thanks!
TimRemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 368

Re: Insulation Crawl Space

It sounds as if you want to encapsulate the crawl space. I would lay in 6 mil or even 10 mil plastic on the dirt, running it up onto the walls and add the XPS to the walls all the way to the sill plate, taping all the joints. Adhere the XPS with proper adhesive.

NOW comes the kicker. You need to either dehumidify or condition the air in the crawlspace, as the air will be still and can harbor moisture from your basement.
Windows on Wash and Bud9051 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 928

@chandler48 spelled it out for you. I would be sure to seal the rim/band joist area as well when you insulate the walls. If you've got HVAC duck lines inside the crawlspace, which is likely, you can just add in some supply side in there to help exchange the air and remove the moisture.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 102

http://www.diychatroom.com/members/t...s/crawl-space/

Thanks guys. Above is a link to pictures I just took. Yes, @chandler48 I want to encapsulate it. So it seems like you guys think rigid foam and a vapor barrier is okay for my situation? Perfect! My crawl space opens (about 2x2 ft) to my basement. I'll have a furnace down there with a duct running through so I'm thinking the air will be okay. I'm sure my HVAC installer will be able to make sure I'm good to go. Thanks again!

TimRemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 368

Do your knees and the moisture barrier a favor..........clean it up before you lay it down. Too many rocks and stuff in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement