Insulation Breathing - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By fireguy
  • 1 Post By NotyeruncleBob

Old 10-29-2017, 12:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Insulation breathing

Hey first time here. Forgive me if i placed this in wrong area this was the only active forums where I thought I could get an answer.

Anyway I recently placed my computer in the basement where we have a excess insulation sitting in. The basement is pretty big... thing is I didnt know that breathing in or near insulation is bad for you (I have no knowledge of those feilds). So for the last month I've been stupidly doing computer work down there for a few hours a day... the insulation sits about 20 feet away from where my pc was (I've obviously moved now) how screwed am I? I have no symptoms of anything but I've read how it can stick to your lungs and cause cancer and show no symptoms for 10-30years. Most days I probs spent just over an hour in there. In weekends would be more.

Should I be worried? I feel fine but now I'm paranoid. I wish they taught this sort of stuff in school.
Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2017, 12:07 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 838

Re: Insulation breathing

You read to many scary books.
If you are not touching and causing any dust from it to get in the air it is fine.
Bondo and Bud9051 like this.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 708

Would only be an issue if the insulation was being disturbed or moved.

Can you see the dust particles moving around in the air? If so, you need to get to the Dr and get a chest x-ray, maybe.

Can the insulation be covered with poly? That would minimize the particulates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2017, 12:18 AM   #4

Yeah I didn't see any particles. Also haven't touched it or moved it. I always had the door open when I was down there too. Just worried because a month down there a few hours everyday cant be good. It wasnt until a family member recently told me about the hazards of insulation that I realised how stupid I was. So you guys think I'll fine?

Also thanks for the quick and helpful replys =)
Old 10-29-2017, 12:35 AM   #5

Here's a photo of exactly what's sitting there
Old 10-29-2017, 12:40 AM   #6

O it didnt upload for some reason. Here it is in link anyway https://imgur.com/dY6jxEU
Old 10-29-2017, 01:01 AM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 838

There would be no reason for anything to move. It would be the guy that worked with it for years that I would worry about.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 20

I was in another attic today, looking at fire sprinkler piping. We often disturb the fiberglass batts, the blown in ground-up news papers, the rock wool, and whatever other insulation may be in the attic. To date, I am still alive and as far as I know, am not eligible for any of the current scare tactics by the lawyers who advertise on TV.

But if you are really concerned, get some dust masks at the hardware store.
Nealtw likes this.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:24 AM   #9
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 374

Off topic somewhat, but you will need to deal with those open vent blocks before you do any remodeling. Where are you located? I'd be more concerned with outside air and contaminates (not really) than I would a dormant stack of insulation. You could always bag it up or cover it.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,066

You're fine.
...and this is coming from the person who has to remind people around here about the dangers of many exposures.
In case you're still worried... Fiberglass is more of an irritant than a carcinogen, meaning it's more uncomfortable than hazardous. You also need to be disturbing the insulation enough to get fibers loose and in the air. You also need to be close enough to inhale them. You also need to be in enough of an enclosed space that any fibers wouldn't be able to dissipate or settle before they reached you. You were far enough away from undisturbed fiberglass batts in a large enough space that your exposure was essentially zero. If your scenario was hazardous then every cashier at Home Depot would be dead by now.
Nealtw likes this.
NotyeruncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyeruncleBob View Post
You're fine.
...and this is coming from the person who has to remind people around here about the dangers of many exposures.
In case you're still worried... Fiberglass is more of an irritant than a carcinogen, meaning it's more uncomfortable than hazardous. You also need to be disturbing the insulation enough to get fibers loose and in the air. You also need to be close enough to inhale them. You also need to be in enough of an enclosed space that any fibers wouldn't be able to dissipate or settle before they reached you. You were far enough away from undisturbed fiberglass batts in a large enough space that your exposure was essentially zero. If your scenario was hazardous then every cashier at Home Depot would be dead by now.
Now we know why the large turnover in HD employees
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement