Insulation Behind Wood Paneling W/out Drywall ? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stick\shift

Old 05-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 140

Insulation Behind Wood Paneling w/out Drywall ?

I have furring strips attached directly to the wall in my basement workshop. I'm planning on putting up paneling - I'm not exactly sure what yet and will investigate options. I would prefer not to put drywall under the paneling ... My question - is there any kind of insulation (like foam board) that is rated for direct contact with concrete & wood panels ? Thank you
JohnyFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,864

Re: Insulation Behind Wood Paneling w/out Drywall ?

Foam board would be fine but would have done a better job if it went up before the furring strips, as they create a thermal bridge.
Bud9051 likes this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 140

Yes - I agree. When I took down the existing panels a few of the furring strips came down with it, but most of it was tight - so I did not want try pulling the rest down and start from scratch.

I thought I read somewhere that the pink foam board must have drywall or some other kind of fire barrier other than wood panels due to the toxicity of the foam board? I tried looking at my local building code but found nothing that addressed this. Thank you for the reply.
JohnyFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017, 04:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 222

3/4" pine might be sufficient but I don't have the reference. Your local code office would probably know.

Not sure of your location but many areas are now requiring more than just a thin layer of rigid foam. Here is the 09 listing.
https://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCodeReqs/

In addition, furring strips make it more difficult to get the wiring installed for outlets.

As always, resolve any moisture problems before you try to cover those walls.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
basement , insulation , paneling