Insulation In Attached Garage Below A Living Space - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 01-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Insulation in attached garage below a living space

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to the forum. I have some questions about the insulation in my attached garage.

My wife and I moved into a house a few years ago and we are planning to put up sheetrock in our attached garage. Currently there is insulation stapled to the ceiling joists with the paper side facing down (from previous owner). After reading some things about installing insulation, I think there a few problems with the existing insulation. here are my questions:

1. Is the insulation facing the wrong way? I've read all kinds of opinions based on the climate. I live in upstate NY which has cold winters and humid Summers. I think it should be with the paper facing the living space.

2. The existing insulation is ~3 7/8" thick and the depth from the floor to the joist face is ~9", leaving a huge gap between the floor and insulation. Shouldn't the floor be filled top to bottom, front to back?

3. The marking on the insulation paper shows that is has a R-13 rating. Shouldn't the rating be a higher value for a floor? The garage is not heated and just looking at the insulation options in home depot makes me think the R value should be higher.

The main reason I'm asking these questions is to determine if I should rip down all the insulation and redo it properly before putting up sheetrock.

Thanks,

Vinny

Insulation in attached garage below a living space-20190117_201426.jpg

Insulation in attached garage below a living space-20190117_182757.jpg
Vgizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,148

Re: Insulation in attached garage below a living space

The subfloor is the vapour barrier in that situation so no paper needed or put it up against the floor and add another 5 1/2 in below that and by code that should have had 5/8" fire rated drywall seams taped and at least one more coat of filler over the tape to seal it off
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Vgizzo (01-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,294

Your instincts are right. As a rule, vapor barrier goes on the warm side. They just bought the cheapest R13 and installed it cleanest looking. I don't know how they got away without 5/8" G.B. in there though.

You should fill the 9 1/4" full. You could feasibly tear off the paper and reuse as combined 3 1/2" thick unfaced batts, but unless money is real tight it might be better to pull it out and buy new R30 to fit.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3onthetree For This Useful Post:
Vgizzo (01-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,374

Whats above the garage? How premium is ceiling height in the garage?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:08 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice everyone. It looks like I will have to replace it with R30. I looked into using the existing insulation and adding to it but I calculated that I wouldn't save that much.

- Vinny

Last edited by Vgizzo; 01-18-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #6

3onthetree, The house was built in the late 60s... I don't know if that explains why the G.B is not there and other code violations.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #7

WindowsonWash, Above the garage is living space ( 2 bedrooms). Adjacent to the garage, is a finished basement area and a smaller room which has the boiler and water heater. There is no insulation or sheet rock installed on the garage side walls. The boiler room also does not have insulation or G.B installed in the ceilings or the walls adjacent to finished basement area. In the boiler room, there is sheetrock on the garage side and wood paneling on the finished basement side Also I see romex 14/2 NM hanging from the ceiling, staples across the joists, in the boiler. I think I will have to fix this as well. Images are attached:

- Vinny

Insulation in attached garage below a living space-basement_layout.jpg

Insulation in attached garage below a living space-20190118_075445.jpg

Insulation in attached garage below a living space-20190118_075505.jpg

Insulation in attached garage below a living space-20190118_075512.jpg

Last edited by Vgizzo; 01-18-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,352

Do you use it as a "garage" for vehicles. I ask because ours was under our bedroom, and I always thought it was a little weird, with all the gasses, etc. We decided not to use it as a garage, so I framed up the two door openings with 2x6's, added matching T1-11 on the exterior, two slider windows, R 19 insulation and sheetrock. Sooo glad I did. We do have a man door in the middle, so it was convenient. Built in the 80's, but still ill conceived, IMO. No insulation in the rims, nor between floors. Once all that was accomplished, we now have a more stable house with regards to heat and cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Insulation in attached garage below a living space-garage.jpg  
Windows on Wash likes this.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vgizzo View Post
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to the forum. I have some questions about the insulation in my attached garage.

My wife and I moved into a house a few years ago and we are planning to put up sheetrock in our attached garage. Currently there is insulation stapled to the ceiling joists with the paper side facing down (from previous owner). After reading some things about installing insulation, I think there a few problems with the existing insulation. here are my questions:

1. Is the insulation facing the wrong way? I've read all kinds of opinions based on the climate. I live in upstate NY which has cold winters and humid Summers. I think it should be with the paper facing the living space.

2. The existing insulation is ~3 7/8" thick and the depth from the floor to the joist face is ~9", leaving a huge gap between the floor and insulation. Shouldn't the floor be filled top to bottom, front to back?

3. The marking on the insulation paper shows that is has a R-13 rating. Shouldn't the rating be a higher value for a floor? The garage is not heated and just looking at the insulation options in home depot makes me think the R value should be higher.

The main reason I'm asking these questions is to determine if I should rip down all the insulation and redo it properly before putting up sheetrock.

Thanks,

Vinny

Attachment 546979

Attachment 546981
Is it cold in your bedrooms?
Ideally, my suggestion is put 2 inches of closed cell spray foam then fill the remainder of the bay with unfaced fiberglass, then 5/8s sheetrock.

We used foam above our garage on our renovation, and its better than it could be, but we used open cell, I didn't know enough at the time, we should have used closed cell.

You want to stop the air infiltration as well as insulate, which is what the closed cell foam can do.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement