Insulation / Air Flow With Add-on Porch Room - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Insulation / Air Flow with Add-on Porch Room

My porch room was an add-on to the house back in the 60's and is covered with a low slope roof. The floor is cement, 2 of the walls are mostly windows/glass, 1 of the walls is the barrier between the garage and the porch, and the 4th wall is the wall between my laundry room and the porch room. There is no plan to install or use any heating/air conditioning.

I would like to install insulation in the room to help with the heat coming from the roof, but I'm concerned about air flow. There are no vents right now. I can install soffits on the front side, but for the opposite side I can only install a vent on 1 corner of the wall due to the awkward placement of the porch walls/garage roof.

Will 1 air vent work out ok if it's just in the corner? I plan on installing baffles as well.

Here are some pictures, and I would be glad to take more if it would help. I am a DIY noob, so forgive me if I didn't provide a better description.

Last edited by dtp316; 04-14-2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Pictures didn't post
dtp316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 120

Re: Insulation / Air Flow with Add-on Porch Room

Attic ventilation requires more than just warm/hot air, it requires a height difference between the low intake and the high exhaust. With the low slope you will have very little height difference.

However, without conditioned air the ceiling will not (should not) be exposed to a lot of moisture so it is only the heat you are dealing with and Insulation is the best solution.

Install the side vent as mentioned and if you get any amount of wind it will move the air somewhat.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement