Insulating Work Shed - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By joecaption
  • 1 Post By APA
  • 1 Post By Marson
  • 1 Post By Red Squirrel

Old 08-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Insulating Work Shed

Hi All - long time reader, first time poster.

Iíve got a 24 x 12 foot wood work shed with a cathedral ceiling that I want to insulate, drywall, and turn into a somewhat climate controlled art studio. I should mention Iím in the high desert in SoCal - so typically deal with lots of heat and mild winters that occasionally dip into the 20s at night. The goal of the insulation is to make it so I can run a window A/C unit to keep it below 85 in the summer and a small space heater to keep it above 60 in the winter. Comfortable, but I donít think it needs to be crazy efficient.

Iíve never done insulation before, so Iíve been trying to educate myself as much as possible on the right way to do it, while also keeping this project from spiraling out of budget.

Hereís where I am:

My walls are 2x4 studs and already have builders paper applied. I think itís fairly straight forward for the walls - R-13 faced packed in tight, staples, drywall on top.

The ceiling is where Iím getting confused on the best way to proceed. The rafters are 2x6 - and from what Iíve read, I should be using R-30 and leaving a 1.5 inch gap for ventilation - which I donít think will fit. So my though was to just use R-13 because hey - some insulation is better than none, and I want to make sure itís properly vented. But I canít for the life of me figure out the best way to vent this roof. Iím attaching some photos so you can see what Iím working with - there are currently no soffit or roof vents - just one attic turbine fan near the top that used to help vent some heat in the summers. I donít think I can put in soffit vents - because of the way the rafters run, there wouldnít be any way for air to flow between the rafters. And I donít think I can put vents on the gable ends because that would involve a lot of cutting into the main beams of the shed, plus I donít think I have enough overhang outside to keep rain from coming in.

Advice? Ideas? Thanks for your help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating Work Shed-img_5573.jpg   Insulating Work Shed-img_5575.jpg   Insulating Work Shed-img_5577.jpg   Insulating Work Shed-img_5578.jpg   Insulating Work Shed-img_5579.jpg  

Insulating Work Shed-img_5581.jpg  
sunny-vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Insulating Work Shed

Only insulate the ceiling if you have soffits & a ridge vent. Otherwise, you can trap moisture.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2018, 05:14 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 562

Remember that insulation works both ways, while it insulates from heat from above it can also trap heat that is below. IMO figuring out a better ventilation system should be the first step.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2018, 06:03 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,268

Really hard to vent that, might be good place for foam, other may have something to say.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,818

That's some really strange roof framing, good thing you have no snow loads there.
https://www.insulation4less.com/Insu...bcd0482cff819f
Nealtw likes this.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
APA

Rewards Points: 126

Practical solution? Just fill it with r-19 and see what happens. Cut a place and frame for a "window" AC unit if you don't want to take up a window. They even make them that will heat and cool. Some of the stuff posted here just worries folks for no reason. Some of the stuff I have seen in houses that are 50+ years old is just terrible work, but the house is still standing.
Marson likes this.
APA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,154

I dunno....maybe add a drop/false ceiling with tunnel for the skylight. Would then
be able to add a series of small air inlets at the top of the walls on the non-gable
sides. Drop ceiling could be framed with metal studs to keep the weight down.
CodeMatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 926

I wouldn't over think it. Just use fiberglass batts. It's a shop/ studio and I doubt indoor humidity is going to be so high that you get condensation up there. Ventilation would be nice to cool off the roof a bit, but I bet you can get by without it.
Nealtw likes this.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marson View Post
I wouldn't over think it. Just use fiberglass batts. It's a shop/ studio and I doubt indoor humidity is going to be so high that you get condensation up there. Ventilation would be nice to cool off the roof a bit, but I bet you can get by without it.

I had a building before where a previous owner insulated immediately
below roof decking. The heat build up destroyed the shingles in no time.
CodeMatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 322

I doubt you meant it but you really do not want to "pack" insulation in. More is not better if you are smashing it down.

Also, you might want to look at a mini split instead of window air and space heater. It will do the job of both and in a much nicer package. At only 12' wide I would drop the ceiling and box an opening for your skylight and then you can easily insulate to the R40 + range.
rrmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #11
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 522

I would look at building a bit of a false ceiling so that there is a basic attic space, that way it will be ventilated. You also want to design it so that you can properly tie in the vapour barrier all around and above. Vapour barrier is on the warm (conditioned) side. The most continuous it is the more efficient it will be. I find this is something a lot of people - even pros, skimp on. It's almost just as important as the insulation itself as it will stop air leaks and drafts. Apparently they have a new tape for that now, it's blue, and better than the red tape. Have not really used it myself though. I usually use acoustic sealant too. The drywall or plywood or whatever wall finishing you put will also help press on seams so that it's sealed properly.

Also if buying insulation may as well go with Roxul. It's not that much more expensive and is better than fibreglass.
Nealtw likes this.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement